Bad news / Re-homed 9 month old Poppy

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Chris_Poppy, Jun 2, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hy Chris, Kongs are a brilliant idea for keeping your pup occupied while you're out. I have a seven month old puppy (Luna, aka the Squidge) and I'm just starting to decrate her when we go out. I can't trust her fully yet - a long way from it! - but if I give her a frozen kong, I know it will keep her occupied for twenty to thirty minutes. There's a thread here with ideas of things you can stuff them with. I don't know peamutt butter, but regular PB is very high in calories, which would restrict how much you can use it. You could soak her kibble, maybe mixed with something tasty like the PB, or tinned tuna/sardines and use that as a bit more of a nutritious alternative. I also use raw mince, which the dogs love.
    Another suggestion is to scatter her breakfast kibble over the lawn if you have one, or in a rug - or just over the floor! - so she has to hunt it out. Even something as simple as this makes mealtimes more enriching and can help tire her out a little more, as she has to use her brain rather than the food just being plonked down in a bowl.

Anyway, I'm sure you have plenty on your mind right now, so I don't want to overwhelm you. Let us know how you go :)

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  2. Chris_Poppy

Chris_Poppy Registered Users

Thanks again, so much quality information available! I have plenty of reading to do later haha

3. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

So so sorry to hear of your loss, you must all be devastated. :(

I'm the same age as your Mum, she will be very proud of you for taking on Poppy, I hope my son would do the same in those circumstances.

You've had some good advice, the only thing I can add is perhaps try an Adaptil Plug in spray in the room Poppy uses most, it may help with her stress levels. You can get them from either your vet or online. I would have recommended the Adaptil Collar but it's not safe to have a collar on a dog while crated.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I'm so sorry for your loss and really commend you for taking Poppy and being so concerned about her at what is such a hard time for you. She's very lucky to have you and I hope she also helps you in her special doggie way. :hug:

selina27, snowbunny and Chris_Poppy like this.
  5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I'm so sorry. It sounds you are on track and there's lots of good support above. I'm sure you will find Poppy is a comfort to you. A bit of a sad reminder sometimes, of your loss, but at the same time a living connection to your Mum. That's how a couple of people I know found it when they took on a pet, dog or cat, of a deceased parent or spouse. You and Poppy look after each other.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  6. Chris_Poppy

Many thanks, do you have any experience yourself of the Adaptil spray? Never come across it until now but I'm interested in using it

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I used both the Adaptil diffuser (plug in) and tablets with my two adults. I can't say I noticed any difference in them at all. But, I've also heard that it simply doesn't work for all dogs, and others swear by it, especially for stressful situations like fireworks. So it's probably worth a try. It didn't make anything worse, in any event!

8. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

@Chris_Poppy , so sorry to read about the unexpected loss of your mother, but how lovely for Poppy that you are taking her on.

As well as dog walkers and daycare, there is also a website called borrowmydoggy, which helps you find a person locally who doesn't have a dog but would like to share one. I learnt about it on this forum, and am hopeful that I've found a suitable person.

Best wishes to you and Poppy.

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

So sorry you lost your mum at such a young age Chris. It's great that Poppy is getting continuity from you. I do hope she brings you some comfort along with the challenges.

10. Nikki1

Nikki1 Registered Users

So sorry for you loss, I'm sure Poppy is going to be a great companion for you, and you can support each other.
    It's so thoughtful how your so concerned about her at such a hard time.
    I don't have enough experience to give advice, but I really wish you both well.

11. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hi Chris, I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost your mother so suddenly. Well done for taking on Poppy. It sounds as if you're already doing a great job of settling her in and working out the best way forward with her. I'm sure you'll enjoy Poppy's company, as well as being able to continue your mother's work with her.

12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So sorry about the loss of your mum.I hope Poppy are happy together

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

So sorry to hear of your loss. You are doing a wonderful thing in taking on Poppy, I'm sure she will adjust and you and she will be great companions for each other.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm so very sorry to read your news ,condolences to you and your family. I hope taking Poppy to live with you will be a comfort,certainly settling her in and sorting out her routine and care will be a distraction at this very sad time. The Forum is a friendly,kindly place and I'm glad you've joined x
    Best Wishes
    X

15. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

@Chris_Poppy I am so very sorry to hear about your mum, what a dreadful shock. I don't really have any advice regarding Poppy as you have been given loads of good tips.

Many years ago we lost our sister in law at the age of 45. I would say take one day at a time, everyone handles grief in their own way. My brother found his dogs were a blessing they gave him a focus.

Best wishes to you and your family. Xx

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  16. Chris_Poppy

Thanks everyone, Poppy is helping me loads, not letting me sit down for two minutes and the walking is giving me a nice time to think about things.

Counter surfing is a bit off a problem at the minute, "leave" doesnt seem to be sinking in to her but I am trying to be consistent.

Beanwood and selina27 like this.
  17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh I have a terrible counter surfer! (Benson my choccie...) Now I just make sure that everything is off the counter, otherwise it's fair game for him. Haven't made a bean of progress really...he has even snuck up under arms to grab a sandwich, didn't have the grace to wait until my back was turned! :D

selina27 and Pilatelover like this.
  18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yep, counter surfer here too, Hattie is almost 10 years old and will still nick anything she can find off the counter. We have to put everything out of sight and if you don't it's gone! :rolleyes:

Charlie our rescue dog wouldn't steal anything, I have set him up a few times, watched him where he can't see me, I have left something yummy on the counter or table, he just ignores it :) Some dogs are worse than others. x

19. Chris_Poppy

Haha pleased I am not the only one then. If I can come up with a solution I will let you all know!

20. MF

MF Registered Users

So sorry for your loss, Chris. Losing your mom so young, so devastating for you. Poppy is lucky she has you.

I have a counter surfer, too. I think we failed at stopping it cos he looks so darn cute peering over the counter (of the kitchen island), like he's Master Chef. You will learn to become very neat!

Chris_Poppy and selina27 like this.