Ban back street breeding

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JulieT, Mar 5, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Ban back street breeding

There is no proposed licence right now - all this represents is an awareness raising campaign, which is why the material is somewhat emotive (it's designed to pull at heartstrings, I guess).

What the licence would contain would be up for debate but I would love that debate to happen. In principle, I think there is a case for ex-ante regulation in the form of a licence rather than currently ex-post enforcement against very general legislation. As far as I can make out, any enforcement action around the for sale of puppies falls to trading standards enforcing consumer and sale of good legislation. The nature of this legislation means any effective action is pretty much beyond the capabilities of Trading Standards. Indeed, on searching, I found only one such case that has ever been taken.

I have formed a view that it may be desirable to increase the liability of breeders for certain types of ill health in puppies. I would like to see a debate about what liability breeders should bear for the treatment of things like ED, HD and EIC. This is not straightforward, but its a question worth a debate. A licence could be the means to bring in such regulation. I don't think the kennel club would even open things like this up for debate.

I don't think the issue is limited to dogs, either. Last week I met a lady who owns 2 Maine Coon cats - both with heart disease requiring extremely expensive medication for life. Apparently very common in Main Coon cats, but she knew nothing of this when she bought them. I couldn't help thinking that she had more rights to claim the cost of repair had she bought a kettle...not sure that's right at all.

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Ban back street breeding

I've signed using my parents address,better forward them the link so they know what it's about if the local MP writes to them discuss!