Barbed wire

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Anne123, May 3, 2017.

1. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

A few weeks ago Finn encountered barbed wire. He was out with my OH for a stroll in the woods and farm fields. When they walked alongside the farm field Finn suddenly cried. My OH stopped to look what happened, but didn't realize it was barbed wire. They walked further and Finn was very tired. He didn't want to go on. My OH had to stand still to let Finn catch up....
    When my OH came home he told me that Finn was tired. Didn't tell me about the encounter of the barbed wire!
    The day after when we were already in our home in town he told me this story. I had an appointment with the vet already for Finn had to have his vaccinations.
    I told the vet and she examined Finn. It could be that he has had cardiac arrhythmia after the shock of the wire. His heart was beating nicely so it probably was temporary, who can tell afterwards!

What my intention is with this story is to warn everyone who walks by farm fields and the probability of an encounter with barbed wire!

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Poor Finn! :(
    I absolutely hate barbed wire with a passion, it does terrible harm to both wild animals and dogs. No need for it at all.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Glad that he is alright now, but I agree, its horrible stuff x

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor finn it's just awful, I hope he's OK :( 3 months ago Charlie got cut badly underneath his back leg from barbed wire, vet visit, antibiotics, cleaning the wound several times a day, he had to wear a cone for a couple of weeks :( There is just no place for it at all :mad:

5. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I searched the wrong word..... it was power wire .......

6. Beanwood

Ah... you mean electrified tape/wire?

Not so bad, I get zapped ALL the time on ours. Dogs get zapped once then they avoid, ours is running high right now too.

@snowbunny don't worry, will turn the fence off when you visit :)

Anne123 and snowbunny like this.
  7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I still vividly remember when Willow got zapped by an electric fence. She screamed, and kept on screaming. Bless her :(

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My friend's old dog used to think electric fences were Dangerous-with-a-capital-D. Probably because he'd been zapped. But we have lots of fences across footpaths in Andorra, with those rubber handles so you can open them to let yourself through. More than once, this softest of Labs grabbed my friend's arm in his mouth and tried to pull her away as she was opening one :)

Kelsey&Axel, Anne123 and Beanwood like this.
  9. Beanwood

Well Benson just waits till the gate is open, then runs in to try and steal duck eggs..his favourite! :)

Anne123 and snowbunny like this.