Barking problem

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Lozzz31, May 16, 2018.

1. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Ziggy will be one year old tomorrow and he's growing up to be a fantastic dog.
    He usually takes everything in his stride and is playful, friendly and laid back. Recently though, he's been barking randomly, at people. In pubs, shops or just out for a walk. 9 times out of 10 he's friendly with strangers and likes to be petted but now again when someone comes to say hello - or even just walks past him - he'll bark at them likea maniac! I just don't get it. It's very frustrating, embarrassing and upsetting. Can anybody advise - is there anything I can do to make this situation better? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Jet did this and I've read several posts on the same thing. At about one year old this starts. Our solution depends on the situation but in case it helps, here's ours. Jet would bark at people we met while walking, off leash her, in the bush. I would call her to heel and have her sit behind me. Then I noticed she did not bark at people I knew, who I greeted with a hearty, "Good morning. Great day, isn't it? How are you?" Simple solution, greet everyone like that. Sometimes demonstrating YOU are the Boss and will decided who is a threat, by calling to heel and putting beside you, is a good for the dog and it most certainly reasssures the poor people.

With Oban I laughed, and pointed at him. "Ho, ho, ho, you big silly goof. That's nothing to laugh at. You made a mistake, you should be embarassed." This works too but it confounds the people, who may think you are not taking a dog barking at them seriously. I went out and explained to each new set of neighbours.

LAT training from Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed" is also very likely to help. Which reminds me to dig my book out as I promised to lend it to a friend.

Good Luck

3. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

I can tell when Mocha is ready to bark-her ears and forehead retract. I always speak to her calmly before she barks. She then knows that I see the person approaching. Or I say with excitement “Who’s that?”
    Also I always say jogger or bike when they come and it seems to disarm her.
    She was a chronic barker when small and I took a lot of grief. Labs can bark so deep and loud.
    Good luck!