Be tick aware

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Be tick aware

Roger, it is not just Lyme disease ticks can carry. Particularly in France they can also carry babesiosis and ehrlichiosis, which are both killers for dogs. Ticks can also carry meningitis, which can be very dangerous to humans. So killing ticks as soon as possible is essential.

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

As Riley is a house kept pet and we have a young daughter I am definitely in the preventative camp rather than remove after they're found. We have frineds with spaniels who came over from the Isle of Wight, they don't treat for ticks as they aren't really a problem on the island. She took over thirty ticks off four dogs after walking in our local woods :eek:

3. Morwenstow

Morwenstow Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=92.msg58595#msg58595 date=1393943860]
    Roger, it is not just Lyme disease ticks can carry. Particularly in France they can also carry babesiosis and ehrlichiosis, which are both killers for dogs. Ticks can also carry meningitis, which can be very dangerous to humans. So killing ticks as soon as possible is essential.
    [/quote]

Karen, I am aware that ticks can cause serious illness in both dogs and humans but the point I was trying to make was that medicines such as Front line are expensive and do not prevent ticks from attaching to the dog's skin. That is why DEFRA changed the rules last year and foreign vets no longer have to certify that dogs have been given Front line/Advantix before returning to the UK. That in no way diminishes the risk of serious disease caused by ticks (a great friend died of Lyme's disease) and I regularly check Benson's coat,particularly when in France and remove any ticks found using tweasers.

Roger

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I live in Germany, and I can assure you that while Frontline does not COMPLETELY prevent all ticks from attaching, without it my dog would literally be COVERED in ticks within days. I only use it when necessary (during spring and early summer), but honestly I wouldn't want to subject my dog, or myself, to dealing with hundreds of the little horrors on an ongoing basis.

The other point about tick medication is that it kills whatever ticks do attach, before they have a chance to transmit dangerous diseases.

Yes, it is expensive, but money well spent, I think. And yes, it is poison, and you have to weigh up the pros and cons of that, I agree.

5. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

The first tick of the year has arrived :mad:

I don't use any chemical preventative for ticks or fleas, just a daily dose of BNM and squirt of skinny spray if we are going to any areas where there are lots of deer.

I check both of my dogs over after walks anyway and use Tom o tick twister if I find one.

They are disgusting little critters though!

I found this one on my carpet last summer !

[​IMG]

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Nasty little blighters arent they ? I also use BNM , fingers crossed we havent had many to deal with ::)

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

What is BMN?

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I don't know. My doctor and vet say that ticks are the most dangerous wild animals in the European countryside. Just saying.

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Its a product called Billy no Mates , you can buy it online from www.csjk9.com . Its a herbal mixture that can be added to food , I first tried it about four years ago , maybe its just coincidence but ours havent had the flea or tick problems to the same degree since using it .

10. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

The girls don't get many ticks on them at all luckily, particularly my lab who might only get 1 or 2 a year. Plus I think they are much easier to spot on a short coated dog.

I think it is all about being vigilant with your dogs. Yes, ticks are a pain in the bum but I think if you assume your product will prevent them then this when you will be caught out because you won't bother to check your dogs. I know that the herbal products I use don't prevent them completely but then I wouldn't trust any chemical product to this either. Unfortunately my hairy working cocker spaniel tends to pick up more because of her coat and because she is always running in the undergrowth !!

Chloe

11. Dr CEM

Dr CEM Registered Users

I've just watched the video link posted by Jacqui-thanks- some of those ticks were ENORMOUS....demos on how to pull them off humans too...fascinating stuff!

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh lord I have just tried to remove a tick from Hattie's face but it burst (sorry it's a bit gruesome) and I left the head in, Grace thinks she removed it but will the nasty stuff have been injected into her? :'( I am worried now. x

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh gosh Helen,they are horrible little blighters....I don't know,everything you read says to make sure you get all of it out .....I've only ever picked off crawly ( yuck,yuck,yuck )ones . Someone else will have more info I'm sure ,how does she seem? X

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Angela, Hattie seems fine and to top it she also has a cut foot so not a good day for her, but I manged to clean and dress it myself and she is wearing a lovely Purple sock to stop her removing said dressing ::) :)

I really hope the tick isn't doing it's worst, I should have left it until it was big enough to remove whole, I don't normally have any problems :( xx

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I was talking to a vet nurse once and she said you would be very unlucky to pick up something really nasty from just one tick,the really poorly dogs tend to suffer because they've had a concentrated infestation from ticks from a diseased area......just her thoughts,I don't know how true that will be.glad she is seeming herself,sorry about her foot,you sound like you've done a wonderful job of the dressing...she's such a good girl your Hattie ,I bet she just let you get on with it x

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh thanks for that Angela that's great to know.

Hattie just sat and let me clean, dry and dress her cut which isn't a bad one, she is a very good girl and extremely tolerant xxx :*

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Oh no :'( poor Hattie. Such a good girl though for sitting and letting you treat her foot. Big tummy rubs from me (to Hattie of course ;) )

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Poor Hattie - a bit in the wars? Tummy rubs from here.

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks ladies and all tummy rubs were gratefully received :D, she had a lovely walk with your pal Ted the 7 month old Welsh Fox Terrier so think her foot got cut then :( She's a tough girl so she will be OK x :)

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Helen don't worry re the tick, just remember she had one so if she shows any odd symptoms you can tell the vet. But honestly, it really isn't a huge issue unless you are in an area where the ticks carry Lyme disease or similar. Hope Hattie's cut heals quickly!