Beach, off leash and then....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sven, Jul 27, 2016.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

There are definitely two sides to this - on one side a harmless young Labrador running up when he really shouldn't (and anyone who hasn't made a mistake when training or managing a young Labrador is a lucky person indeed); and on the other people with a dog on lead and a small child that over reacted to a young bouncy Labrador running up, perhaps out of fear, or because they didn't have the skills to do anything else more appropriate and proportionate.

I think that's just about the extent of it. :)

edzbird likes this.
  2. Sim

Sim Registered Users

You can do what ifs for many possible situations, what if the pup went back for another jump on the child and done a puppy 'bite' on the kids arm or worse, face?

I agree with julieT and that there's two side to this, and both sides can learn from it.
    I personally detest dogs off the lead running wildly towards myself, children and dog, it's not a pleasant or comfortable situation to be in, I had a dog running towards me earlier today and it wasn't pleasant having Enzo on the lead and not sure what was going to happen. I'm not saying violence is the right response but often in a spur of the moment when your child is involved things can happen very quickly, especially if you are unsure on the breed and upbringing of the dog in question.

Long lines seem to be the answer until the dog is older and less bouncy/ more trained :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well....I have to hold my hand up and say my Charlie was the world's worst for running up to other people and other dogs in his time. I managed him just as best as I could, and worked my socks off. But I had a fair few failures, and no doubt I will again with my new puppy. It happens, unfortunately.

Pilatelover, Naya and samandmole like this.
  4. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Each to their own I suppose. My next door neighbour (50yrs old +) got bundled over by a labradoodle earlier in the year and had a serious break to her ankle, while walking her lab on a lead, she's still not able to walk and is hoping to be able to stand unaided by 2017 and more than likely will suffer permanent damage.

I personally think 30-40 kg dogs should be kept controlled on a lead unless you are out of the way of other people/children, dogs where they can run freely without the risk of injuring a third party.
    Easier said than done I know but some people, and I've witnessed it all to often where I live have zero control over their dogs.

This is isn't against anyone on here but something worth considering in my view.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think your point has been made, @Sim :) - and the OP has already asked several questions about using a long line. :)

6. Sim

Sim Registered Users

I think you have made your position clear @JulieT :)

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Accidents happen and nothing will prevent that.

Puppies do need to be let off the lead to learn a recall. Sometimes things don't go according to plan, despite our best efforts and all the training in the world.

S/he who is without dog management errors - feel free to cast the first stone...etc.

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

We can all quote instances and manage dogs as well as we can and do. I can quote many experiences from friends and personally were violence been used against people walking dogs. You have be careful at all times and all of us round here are but there are. Hurting dogs I'd wrong however you try to justify it it shoes a lack of control.

9. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Personally, I am horrified that anyone would think its ok to kick a dog let alone a puppy.

I hope you any your puppy are ok and he is not injured by the assult. I can only hope this insedent hasn't made him frightened of strangers, children or small dogs on leads.

10. mcatalao

mcatalao Registered Users

Please stop saying anyone said "it is ok" to kick a dog.
    It's a far stretch between understanding the father's action (who seemed was trying to defend his child) to say it is OK.

That being said, as a father myself, i would have stand in front of that dog before my children, and if the dog was aggressive, i might have had to take measure if the owner was not around or had no control over him. I don't know how I would react, I've never been in that situation.

If you don't understand the moral, civil and human responsibility a father has over his shoulders, i have nothing to add this conversation because, i really think there is nothing more to say.

Here in Portugal there are strict rules about Dogs at beaches. Every managed beach terminally prohibits dogs, because of issues like this. You can only take dogs to un-managed beaches, and there is finally going to be opened a managed beach that allows dogs (mid August).

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I really don't see the need for this conversation to get heated. Or any more heated.

As far as I can see, no-one thinks it is ok for anyone to kick a dog that was not being aggressive. Also as far as I can see, no-one approves of a Labrador running up to an on lead dog and child.

mcatalao and samandmole like this.
  12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No one is saying that any member here thinks it's ok to kick a dog. The man in the scenario (who actually kicked the dog) is the only one who thought it was ok to kick a dog.

I think we all understand how someone might be afraid of a dog or feel afraid for their children if a dog is running up. I think we all agree that it's best to try very hard to train your dog not to run up to people and that it is also very helpful to use a long line.

Pilatelover likes this.
  13. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks all for the advise. Long line is working well and am being more vigilant than previously, especially with people who have their dogs on leash. So lesson learned until she stops saying hellow. Am also using a stronger method (without being rude) when people want to come up to say hello.

As always on forums like this it is always interesting to see how everybody would handle this differently.

Will be back for more advise as I need it

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good luck, @Sven. Sounds like you have a good plan there. :)

15. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Good luck :)
    When meeting strangers with Enzo on the lead and they want to make a fuss I try to start the conversation with "he may jump on you, I'm trying to stop him being so excited and jumping while he's young", that usually plants the seed of thought with them to also remain calm and aid your training :)
    Then plow Enzo with chicken while he's sat to lots of "awwww he's great".

He is very keen on pulling the lead to meet dogs and people at the moment though until he gets to them and then settles down.