Bed guarding by 18 month old black lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Julia C, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Julia C

Julia C Registered Users

My 18 month old black labrador guards her bed when anyone approaches her. She will growl and bare her teeth, particularly when she’s very tired. I understand that some dogs don’t want to be disturbed, which is fair enough, and we have been careful not to do anything which will make it worse. However I would really like to eradicate this behaviour as we sometimes have young children visit and it’s a trait which I don’t like to see in a lab. None of our previous dogs have ever done this. She also guards us when we are out on walks, particularly if we meet another younger dog she doesn’t know. She will run at the other dog and sometimes bare her teeth, although she doesn’t actually use them. In every other respect she is loving, gentle and obedient. I’d appreciate any advice as I don’t know how to go about sorting this out.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Julia C

welcome to the forum

Out of curiosity when did these problems begin, and what training did you undertake?

Did a vet check her out for any physiological cause for the behaviour?

When the dog is on the bed, then move towards it. But make sure you don't go so close that the dog starts growling. Toss the dog food treats. Over time many repetitions move closer and closer. Don't expect a linear progression. You may have to back off. so that your dog calms. Once you have found the new threshold distance, then proceed to toss threats. Keep doing it until you can stand next to the bed.

Even if you manage to stop the resource guarding over the bed, supervise at all times when children come. or put her in a crate.

How do you know the dog is guarding you when she is out with you? Would she be okay if I or someone else took her for a walk, and you were not there? Does it happen only when she is on lead? Or off lead?

3. Julia C

Julia C Registered Users

4. Julia C

Julia C Registered Users

The problem began, I think, when she moved from a crate to a memory foam bed, about 12 months old. I wonder if we removed her crate too early? I’ve spoken to a few people about it, and apparently it’s not that uncommon. It’s fair enough that a dog doesn’t want to be disturbed when they’re tired. She also growls if we we’re to stroke her when she’s sleeping anywhere else, eg the rug in the sitting room. So we don’t disturb her - but I still don’t like to see this in a labrador! As far as training goes we have put in a great deal of time with her. She will come to a whistle signal, pretty much every time, occasionally a bit later then we would like, if she’s on a deer trail (we live on the edge of woods and she’s a gun dog lab). She will sit, stay, wait, heel and retrieve and bring dummies we hide for her - she’s extremely responsive and eager to please. We also do a fair bit of playing in our large garden. We have not had her checked out re this issue and I’m happy to do so although I feel confident she’s a robustly healthy dog.
    Of course we always supervise young children having had them ourselves with previous dogs.
    She seems to be a little insecure when other dogs are present out on walks; I cannot be certain she’s guarding us, but she behaves this way, especially if we pay any attention to the other dog, she doesn’t seem to like it! It’s usually when she’s off the lead. I don’t know if she’d do this with anyone else or not without testing it!

5. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Julia C

It's possible that he felt more secure in the crate. Its den like qualities offers a sense of security and protection. As long as the crate is appropriately large he could continue to sleep in the crate. Just try leaving the door open. Perhaps stomp on the floor if you need to go by so that he is not suddenly startled by your presence.

I would stop touching him while is asleep. Let sleeping dogs lie. Make a noise if you must wake him, but avoid touching him until he is wide awake.

Dogs do suffer from jealousy. If you pay attention to strange dogs, then pay attention to him too. Treat everyone equally.

6. Shadow

Shadow Registered Users

it's her den...