Behind

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Sven, May 9, 2017.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hi,

OK I have searched on here and on the main site but can't find it (either typing the wrong thing or there is nothing. Which I doubt).
    I am looking at teaching a behind with Vanilla, mainly after what happened on our walk last night.
    What is the best way or can someone point me in the right direction to a link that they may have handy?

Appreciate the help as alway.

Thanks

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't know of any instructions on how to train it. I'm sure someone will be along with a link soon.

I use targets for anything like this. The targets that I use for positions around me are my place boards, but you could use a bit of paper as a nose target if you wanted or even just your hand if you have trained a hand target.

Just get your dog to target something, and then move it behind you. Once the dog is reliably moving behind you to seek out the target (whatever that is, place board, target stick, nose target etc), add the cue and fade the target.

So, for example, if you were doing it with a hand target (the most convenient because you always have your hands with you!) I'd just get the dog targeting my hand at the side in return for a thrown treat, then slowly move my hand round until it was behind my back and then I'd add a cue so when I said 'behind' the dog ran round me to find my hand (the target) then I'd fade the target.

Pilatelover, Sven and Beanwood like this.
  3. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks @JulieT, makes perfect sense. Our next little project