Being 1...and a thank you

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, May 11, 2018.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

[​IMG]
    We have now hit the age of being one. My first baby turned the big 12 months on April 26th. It is not like it has been a magic number for us, but he's made a lot of improvements. His one year check up went great, the vet said he was a great looking, healthy boy. His recall is still something to be improved, but he is finding that staying near mom and dad is more fun than running because when he stays, he gets treats and fun games. I wondered if he would finally enjoy swimming this summer...we took him to his grandpa's cabin and he dove in without any coaxing. He snuggles with me now, and has calmed down enough to where my mom can come take care of him when we are away from home for the day (we always worried he would jump on her and knock her down). He likes to sit outside and watch me while I garden and is content chewing on his Benebone while we settle down for some evening TV.

It is not all rainbows and butterflies, as some days he still makes me want to pull my hair out, but we are making small improvements each day. The worst thing about him is something that sums his personality up in a nutshell - he is such a big ham, but doesn't realize how much damage he can do when he decides to plop down on your lap or nuzzles you, he surely doesn't realize his wagging tail has thwapped you on the head a dozen times, and he doesn't even flinch when he accidentally clunks heads with you while saying hello after being apart for a few hours.

I hope anyone who has the puppy blues reads this and gets a little itty bitty bit of hope. I waited and waited for him to grow a little more each month, and each month I found him easier to deal with. I was so caught up in processing my own emotions that all I have left from his puppyhood is photos and the little collar he wore when we brought him home. Sometimes I feel guilty about it, but then I realize that I am here, today, loving the puppy that I never thought I'd love, and I think that is something to be proud of.

I feel myself needing to post less and less on this forum because it has helped Aspen and me grow so much. We wouldn't have made it this far without these kind people. I told my boyfriend that its funny how I feel like all of these people, who I've never met, and also live across oceans from where I am, have been here with me every step of raising Aspen, and I could not be more grateful. Thank you to everyone, from me and my not-so-little-anymore bub. :heart:

Lin, Joy, MF and 28 others like this.
  2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Aww he is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. It will be a great boost to those who are feeling like the puppy stage will never end. Glad we could be here to get you through it!:)

alschwahn likes this.
  3. Cath

Cath Registered Users

He is so handsome. Love hearing about your boy :)

alschwahn likes this.
  4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

@alschwahn, a fabulous post to read.

I agree with everything you say about this Forum and feel just the same myself.

Aspen is a very handsome dog indeed and I always enjoy reading about him and seeing your photographs, I think you have done a wonderful job with him. They make us earn the love and bond we feel with them, that's for sure :)

alschwahn likes this.
  5. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Aah @alschwahn this is such a lovely post. I love your honesty. Aspen looks a great dog. Well done. :heart:

alschwahn likes this.
  6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Happy belated birthday Aspen. Such a handsome boy x

alschwahn likes this.
  7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

What a lovely enlightening and warm post from you @alschwahn and what a fantastic looking dog. You will give hope to the ones suffering from the puppy blues and it is so good that we are a 'community' even though oceans can separate us physically.

8. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Great post and as you hope, a real encouragement to puppy owners. Your boy is gorgeous too, Molly's gone all gooey :D

alschwahn likes this.
  9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Bless you xx

What a handsome boy he is :heart:

alschwahn likes this.
  10. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

What a great message to anyone going through the same experience right now and a reminder to us all of how perseverance pays off. Maisy has also just turned one, it feels like it has just happened but in fact she is 14 months now. You are so right about the puppy stage, we are so busy coping and trying to carry on and deal with everything the little furballs throw at us that it can be hard to enjoy them, and they grow so quickly too that time passes in a flash. I look back at puppy videos of Maisy and wish I could be there again with more knowledge, energy, patience, experience etc. etc. But as you say, we now have dogs that are part of us, they know us as we know them and this trust and loyalty can only grow from now on.

Happy Birthday Aspen, he is a lovely boy, you are right to be proud of him. :cake:

alschwahn and Stacia like this.
  11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Now that is a smashing post to read xx Thanks for sharing your joy and frustrations , they are worth it all, our lovely dogs xx

alschwahn and Stacia like this.
  12. Anomaly

Anomaly Registered Users

Thank you for this. And thank you to you and all the other people who admit that we don’t always like our puppies! There are dark days indeed and the majic for me was just when I thought I might snap behavior over. Now, at 6 months, the dark days aren’t really dark. Just a bit annoying.

alschwahn likes this.
  13. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

It’s truly heart warming to hear your adventures and Happy 1st birthday Aspen.
    We are just a couple of months away from you and look forward to celebrating our time too

alschwahn likes this.
  14. Candy

Candy Registered Users

What a beautiful post! What a beautiful dog! Thankyou.

alschwahn likes this.
  15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aspen is super gorgeous :) That is an inspirational, heartfelt post. I agree, without this forum I would not have ended up where I am today with my very crazy rescue dog, Charlie, who is not as crazy as he was and is actually a really good boy now xx :) Thank you for your lovely post which I am sure will give all puppy owners the strength to keep going. xx

alschwahn, Stacia and snowbunny like this.
  16. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

Happy belated birthday from Pearl and I

alschwahn likes this.
  17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Happy Birthday sweet boy x

alschwahn likes this.
  18. MF

MF Registered Users

He is very handsome! I love the gingers!

alschwahn likes this.
  19. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

Are he is gorgeous, happy birthday! We are 8 months now, I’m trying not to wish puppyhood away, but I’m very tired now, still waiting for our corner to turn, she is calmer, but still gets mighty excitable. Lovely post

alschwahn likes this.