Being sick in the night

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JenBainbridge, May 11, 2018.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I think I’m going to rearrange his appointment as they’ve done a pre-authorisation claim to see if they’ll accept it and see what happens.

He’s actually ok in himself, and his stomach has been fine so I’m wondering if it’s really necessary anyway. If he was really poorly I wouldn’t hesitate to I’ll speak to the vet if the insurance won’t pay and see how necessary it is.

Then I’ll make the insurance companies life HELL!

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

So sorry to read you have lost so much weight with the worry, I can identify with that, lost 9lbs with worry re OH. I think if you approach the insurance company and give the exact treatment and why it is needed they will listen. I am sure it is just a broad rule and once the differences are pointed out they should understand. If not WATCH OUT Jen is on the warpath>:)

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh hell Jen , what a bummer, but you go for it , do your stuff and cause a rumpus ! I do feel for you , worry is awful as I know to my cost , and something you can do without when you are already so worried about your lovely boy , hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Really sorry that you’re having such a stressful time. Glad that Stanley seems to on the mend, and I think I’d be reluctant to put him through the procedure if I was sure he was over whatever it was.

MF likes this.
  5. WoodWoman

WoodWoman Registered Users

So sorry you are having a difficult time. I hope Stanley continues to get better. About 2 years ago Pippin kept being sick, she would throw back anything she was fed almost immediately. She lost a lot of weight and after a few days she went into the vets to have some barium meal and then an xray. Nothing showed up but the strange thing was she started to be able to eat again. The vet said sometimes the barium meal seems to settle their stomachs. She got better after that and has been fine ever since. The vet put it down to eating something inappropriate, as Labs will. Is it possible that Stanley could have this less invasive procedure instead of an endoscopy? Just a thought.

6. JenBainbridge

Insurance won’t pay out.

I’ve cancelled the treatment as he still seems to be improving. We’ve got a vet visit in the morning to check him over and hopefully he’ll continually improve.

I feel really guilty and as though I’m the worst dog owner ever. But it’s £1800 I just don’t have and while he seems to be getting better I’m worried I’ll spend th money and they’ll say he’s ok.

Obviously I’m keeping a really close eye on him and if there’s any signs of illness I’ll be straight back to the vets and we’ll have to do the appointment.

It’s just all absolutely effing shit (sorry for my language).

7. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

I think you've done the right thing in the circumstances. It's an invasive procedure and it really does sound like Stanley is on the mend.

Like others here I had something similar with Monty last year, we got as far as stomach x-rays after on and off v&d which lasted 12 days in total. Could only put it down to gastritis, and he just slowly got better.

Don't feel bad. If Stanley really needed the procedure, we all know you would do it no matter what. But it honestly doesn't sound like he does.

Can you claim back your holiday costs on his insurance?

JenBainbridge likes this.
  8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Heavens, you don't need to feel guilty! If there was a real necessity I am sure you would do it, but at the moment it is 'just a test' which Stanley doesn't really need at the moment.

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Jen, I think you have done the right thing , I would have made the same decision in that, right now, Stanley is doing well and doesn't need it . Please don't feel guilty , we all know that if he did get poorly again, you wouldn't hesitate , so enjoy your lovely boy and good luck for tomorrow xx

10. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I think you've done exactly the right thing @JenBainbridge and I would do the same. I was going to suggest you wait and see what happens before having the endoscopy but thought you might think that was an outrageous suggestion!

So quit feeling guilty, you're a fantastic mum to your boy and £1800 is not to be sniffed at in anyone's terms.

And the endoscopy may not have found anything conclusive anyway.

It's the insurance company who should be guilty, of ripping decent people off. I can think of a much choicer expletive than the one you used to describe that bunch of *****oles! And that's not even it :mad:.

Here's to Stanners getting better and better:tail:

11. JenBainbridge

Thanks :) id just never forgive myself if something happened to him.

I’ve spoken to OH and he agrees with what we’re doing. Obviously, if anything occurs we’ll do whatever needs done.

Not a chance am I letting the insurance company get away with this - I’ve told them to be prepared for a fight.

12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

You could try the insurance ombudsman there is one.

13. JenBainbridge

I’ve got a complaint in with the firm at the minute.

Once I get that response I can go to the ombudsman :)

14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yeah hit them hard. just the fact that they are having to deal with a complaint cost them money I love that:)

15. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

One thing that might be worth considering is precedent. So, with Petplan they have said to clients regarding conditions that have been excluded, to wait a year and the exclusion is lifted. So 1. Did they mention this to you at the time (they should have..) and 2. Within that timeframe (12months) did you need to consult the vet for similar symptoms. If the answer is No or yes to point 1, and No to point 2, then I think you have a very strong point, even if it's not mentioned in the small print of the insurance policy.

JenBainbridge, drjs@5 and SwampDonkey like this.
  16. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

I'm just catching up. It sounds as though you've been through the ringer both with Stanley and the insurance company. I'm so glad he seems on the mend

17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Be kind to yourself Jen. We all know that you love Stanley and would always put him first. Glad he is on the mend.

JenBainbridge and drjs@5 like this.
  18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad Stanley is better at the minute. Try and look after yourself, (I know this is easier said than done)! X

19. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Just catching up on this as well and wanted to say I'm so sorry hear of all your problems. But very glad that Stanley seems to be getting better and you've definitely got the right attitude to deal with the insurance. As my mother used to say, "You're a tough cookie!". Stanley is very lucky to have you as his mum.

20. JenBainbridge

We’ve been to the vets this morning and they think he seems completely fine. They’re happy for him not to have the endoscopy and think it was just a really bad bug or something.

We’re slowly going to transition back to his normal food from hills.

We’ve spent about £400 on everything and they said to definitely put an insurance claim in and they’ll tell them not to be so bloody ridiculous. They also said the only medication he’s has for diarrhoea was some £6 sachets so just not to include that in the claim and say it’s sickness so it can’t be reoccurring.

Most important thing is that my little lad is on the mend :)