Bella gone to her forever home

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by Karen, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Some of you may remember that my elderly mother took on a rescue dog (looks like a cross between a golden retriever and a dachshund!) last year. It has been a year of ups and downs with Bella - she is a delightful little dog, very affectionate, full of joy and trickery, quite feisty and greedy and something of a food thief! She used to run away and Mum spent months training her recall and teaching her to walk nicely on a lead, as well as house training her. She is friendly with all dogs she meets, but unfortunately she and Sally (Mum's border collie) never really got along very well. Sally clearly does not like her at all and was becoming increasingly grumpy and sad.

Over the new year, my mum fell and broke her wrist. She's ok, but after much discussion she felt she could no longer look after both dogs, and it was agreed it would be best to re-home little Bella while she is still young (she is around two years old). I am happy to report that Bella has gone to her forever home, where she is the only dog and will be much pampered and loved. See attached photo on the couch at her new place! We were a bit sad at the decision, but I really think it is best for everyone. Sally is delighted - back to her normal happy self. And I think Bella is going to be a much-indulged darling.. just what she always wanted!

[​IMG]

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Sorry about your Mum's wrist but otherwise a happy tail. Are the new owners close enough for visits?

3. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Thats a nice out come, I am sure she will be very happy in her new home.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

She looks like she will fulfill the role of pampered pooch very effectively.Hope your Mum is recovering ok and nice to hear Sally is happier x

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

A sad story with a happy ending. Hope your mum's wrist heals quickly and good to hear that Sally is much happier. Bella looks to have settled in her new home very easily.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Bella is the kind of dog who adapts to a new place very easily. She loves everyone, and as long as she gets lots of attention (and lots of food!) and is allowed to run around outside and snuggle up on the couch after a good walk, she will be happy with anyone. She really is an adorable little dog. But I think it's good that she's gone to a home where she will be an Only Dog, because despite her size she is a tough little cookie and definitely wants to be top dog in a household. She went for Sally when I was at Mum's at Christmas and bit her ear really quite badly - blood all over the place! I do think this is the best solution for all.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Poor Sally....and poor Mum.
    Sounds like the best decision.
    Hope your Mum is okay about the rehoming and her wrist heals nice and quickly.

8. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Hope your mum's wrist mends well and a good outcome all round even though a bit sad for you and your mum. The dogs are happy so hopefully that makes it easier for the humans.

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I can Imagine that it was a hard decision, but it sounds like the right one. I hope your mums wrist heals quickly x

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Wishing Bella all the best in her new home! Hope you mum is ok...

11. Granca

Granca Registered Users

It sounds as if both Bella and Sally will be happy with the outcome. Bella looks at home already and her new owners will appreciate all your mother's training. I hope her wrist heals quickly.

12. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Bella looks delightful, so pleased it's turned out well for you all. Hope your mum's wrist has healed.

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Sometimes all the best intentions in the world can't make these arrangements perfect. Sorry your mum has a broken wrist but perhaps the silver lining is that both dogs now are in the best situation for them! I'm sure new owners will be very pleased with Bella...and glad to hear Sally is back to feeling happy in her own home.

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sorry to hear about your Mum, I really hope she is recovering. Your Mum really did work hard to keep Bella and made the right decision for her and Sally. Bella looks so cute and right at home so a perfect ending, your Mum should be proud and happy with her achievements and decision xxx :)

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Got this update on Bella from her (clearly besotted) new owner:

"Bella's had a lovely first day in her new home. She thoroughly enjoyed her first walk over the fields and visit to Pets at Home. She met lots of other friendly doggies and lots of people stopped to talk to her and say how beautiful she is. (She is!) When we got home, she's small enough for me to pop her in the kitchen sink and wash her little paws in warm water (can't be too careful with this Alabama Rot around) then wrap her in a towel and cuddle her dry! She played with the little cuddly squeaky elephant toy and ball we got today, then zonked out on the rug! She's now cuddled up with me on the sofa watching the Simpsons. So glad she's come to live here... :)"

I think she's going to be fine!!! :)

16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Bless her and you and her new owners xxxx

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Wonderful news that will put your Mum's mind at rest. Thanks Karen xx :)

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think she is going to be fine too. :)

19. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

wonderful, wonderful...:)

20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, lovely update :) :) :)