Bella's First Knee Operation

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by CDM, Dec 6, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Well, Bella has TTA surgery on her first knee on Wednesday , she goes in at 8am. It's come around so quickly! She's got her comfy cone and a big crate which she's been spending some time in. God knows how I'll stop her jumping she's worse at the minute and even on her harness was jumping up at my friend then tried to lunge towards another dog today even though we were on the other side of the road :( we are going to be on lock down!!

Just need to get some mats and runners to cover the floors. Hope I've thought of everything!!!!!

2. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

hope all goes well on Wed - two of my dogs in the past have needed major surgery and the main thing I found at this stage was just to take one day at a time - I had to write myself a large note to remind myself not to feed treats in the morning before surgery (or allow access to rabbit poo !). I expect the vet has given you instructions. That's what is important now is to get Bella ready for Wed.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It has come round fast, hasn't it. I hope it goes really, really well.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Everything crossed here! Will be thinking of you both on Wednesday and looking forward to Bella being fully recovered and all this just a memory :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I won't forget to think of you and Bella on Wednesday - we'll be hoping for a great, successful op for her.

Have you got ice packs? Not all surgeons believe that ice helps, but I thought it did. If you are going to ice her leg, it's worth having a few goes with lots of treats in advance of having to do it when her leg is sore.

I bought these:
    [​IMG]nexcare by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

I had Charlie on his harness if there was a risk of him lunging forwards. but if the bigger risk was him jumping up, I'd have him on a flat collar, have a measured knot in the lead, and stand on the lead with it going directly down from his collar to the floor (with the knot the other side of your shoe to the dog, so it can't slip under your shoe). If you get the lengths right, it is absolutely impossible for a dog to jump up. You just have to stand there until the jumping up risk goes away (ask it to in firm terms if you need to do so).

You just have to be super, super careful, and super strict (with people around you mainly), until there is some bone healing (6 to 8 weeks).

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you Wednesday.....come on by and let us know how she gets on xxx

7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Good luck for Wednesday. We'll be crossing our fingers and paws for you x

8. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Good luck for Wednesday, Xx

9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Will be thinking of you on Wednesday, and some great advice from Julie T on the jumping aspect.

10. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Good luck for Wednesday. X

11. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Thanks Julie I haven't got ice packs, but good point I will need to get them fast for Thursday . do vets sell them or shall I go online? Good idea re lead think that's what I need to do, alternate between the 2 as needed.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, you could always have a harness on her, and if you get a double ended lead, attach one end to the harness and the other to her collar (though you'd have to take the end off the harness to do an effective "no jump park" I think).

I bought those Nexcare ice packs at a chemist, after buying a couple of others on line and finding them too stiff. The Nexcare ones stayed flexible, no matter how cold. And also came with a bag that I washed out in a bit of dettol (I don't know if that was fussing, but I thought everything staying clean couldn't hurt, infection is a risk).

Amazon have them online for about £10. The vet didn't give me anything, although had mentioned I'd need some.

13. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Good idea re double lead then I'll have more control, we are going to do our last trip to pets at home tomorrow for a while, she loves that place :(

14. bbrown

I can stand on my double lead and stop jumping up the way Julie has described with it attached to Obi's harness at the back and collar at the other end. It goes harness, my left hand, my left foot, collar.

Best of luck :)

15. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Great thank you, I'll get a double lead tonight!!! Is the lead quite long? Just been looking at the halti double ended lead do you think that would be ok? ( without the head gear etc though)

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I use the halti training leads, they are long, I don't know of longer ones and I'd say it will work.

17. bbrown

I have a Halti lead. Good luck!

18. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Loads of luck from me too

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You lot are a bad influence. Two Halti leads have just been ordered. They look really good.

Good luck to you and Bella :)

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Wishing you and Bella all the best for tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.