Bella's First Knee Operation

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by CDM, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hugs from here too. Hang in there, you'll get through it one day at a time! Try not to stress too much, and try to enjoy a little Christmas in the midst of it all.

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Good luck today,let us know how she gets in and keep your chin up....you are moving forward all the time xx

3. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Good luck for today, sending big hugs x

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Thinking of you and Bella today. Hugs on their way to you x

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

All the very best for Bella's op today and wags and licks from Tatze and Twiglet xx

6. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Thanks all, she went in at 8 am, had heard nothing by 3pm so I called them and she was apparently mid op... They called at almost 6.... Tenterhooks much....all went ok, apparently right knee ligament hadn't gone yet but was on its way. They also x rayd her left knee and all is looking good :) She's also got an ear infection though :( she's been shaking quite a bit since last op so I asked them to check her ears, both ears are infected / inflammed apparently so they've cleaned them and she's on drops!!! How did she get that?!?!? Apparently it's not ear mites so not caught from vets ( although that's when I noticed hmmmm) any ideas what might have caused it, bearing in mind she's not been anywhere?!? Any way out tomorrow and recovery can begin, cannot wait for cuddles with my princess!! Merry Xmas all x

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Pleased to hear that t today's op went well and that her left knee is healing well. Sorry to hear about the ear infection/inflammation but hopefully it will clear quickly with drops.

I'm sure you'll be much happier once you've got Bella home with you, so have a Merry Christmas xx

8. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Glad to hear all went well and that the left knee is doing well. Not sure about the ear infection but I wonder if it's possible that she was more susceptible to picking up an infection given the procedure she'd had done (i.e. big operation, recovering, run down, affecting her immune system)? That's my completely uneducated theory though!

Enjoy your Christmas ☺

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good to hear the knees are good :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Glad to hear she is doing well.

When vets say 'ear infection' it's not always an actual infection that she has caught. Sometimes it's an over growth of yeast, the self cleaning ear mechanism isn't working as it should, a bit of dirt has got in and caused problems etc. Charlie is forever having ear trouble, but it's never an actual 'infection' as in there is never any bacteria etc if swabs are taken and samples put in culture.

11. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Bella and Charlie would be good friends!!! :)

On another note , a reminder to always read your insurance small print..... New policy schedule came through ( they haven't revived claims yet so not related) once over 1 year, small print with pet protect claims they will pay no more than £750 quid to wards cruciate ligament or MRI. Thank god we found out now is all I'll say!!!! I freaked out and checked current policy small print , thankfully not a mention!!!!! It makes me so cross but according to the vet the small print " catches people out all of the time" great to know insurance company's care about our dogs health!!!!!!! :(

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No, insurance companies don't 'care' as such. It's just a business. It's just about you deciding that you want to pay to remove a risk, and the insurance company making a profit. They are not charities, or anything like that. Just commercial businesses.

13. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Wow! Thanks for the tip! *digging out the insurance policy for some Christmas eve studying*

I know our policy had a 6 month waiting period on cruciate ligaments unless we had a vet examine Ella's legs and fill in a form to waive the waiting period. We did this of course, not that I'm sure how a vet watching her walk and feeling her legs could determine whether or not there were any issues!

14. CDM

CDM Registered Users

A business that looks at statistics and weighs up the risks then creates upset and dilemmas for people who don't have 6,000 to pay out! Then what :( Not ok in my eyes :( I got the most expensive policy too and that wouldn't have saved me come January!

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Insurance is all about statistics and risks, yes. They are not on your side, they don't care for your dog. They are just businesses making a profit. That's all they are.

16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I know how you feel about insurance small print. My French pet insurance specifically excluded anything which could congenital or hereditary so not a cent re-imbursed for Juno's ED bills, not even the consultation with the vet when she was limping.

17. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Well hopefully we've got our 6 grand covered, but I have a unsettled feeling that may come back to bite me in one way or Another ..!!! Praying for NOT...!!!!!

Someone mentioned whether animal charities who do pet insurance may be better but no idea,,,,

18. CDM

CDM Registered Users

That sucks! Luckily you could afford it, many couldn't, then what, a dog in pain?!! I'd remortgage my house for Bella!!!!!

19. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

It wasn't a choice of being able to afford it, I'm retired and my husband is semi-retired so a finite amount of money to live on a month the same as most people. With the French insurance you pay the vet/ortho consultant etc. and then just send the claim in for re-imbursement. It's only after I had sat down with my vet and we compiled the full history with the bills for her to sign the claim and sent it to them that we found out about the clause. As the money had already been spent there was no question as to whether we could afford the surgery, x-rays, MRI and hydrotherapy but if there hadn't been some money in the bank I'm not sure what we would have done :(

20. CDM

CDM Registered Users

:( how stressful