Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) -- enlarged prostate

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by MF, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Yep, that's the Sanborn article, @Emily_BabbelHund , the first one I ever read. I think someone on Champdogs posted it years ago and it was a revelation to me.

OOh, your second link is good, I think I don't have some of those. :)

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Yes, me too. Brogan died of splenic hemangiosarcoma and when I started researching the causes, it led me to the Sanborn article and then on from there. It completely changed my viewpoint on neutering, which is why I pipe up whenever it's mentioned on the forum. Everyone should make their own decision, but I wish I would have known earlier what I know now. Brogan was neutered before I adopted him, but it still may have helped me better manage some of the many issues he had which were linked to early neuter.

I knew about the Old Grey Muzzle research (the second link) because one of my first Rottie's buddies was in the original study: he was at the time the US' oldest known living Rottweiler. I was hoping to nominate Brogan as well, but he missed his 13th birthday (the qualification age) by two months. :(

Sorry to kidnap Snowie's thread, @MF...I'll get off my well-worn soapbox now!

3. MF

MF Registered Users

@Emily_BabbelHund very interesting reading - thanks for posting. Methinks it should be a separate thread in case others wish to read it but aren't particularly attracted to BPH!

Interesting the use of dogs to study aging. But logical -- their sadly shorter lifespan gives quick insights. I guess also why the fruit fly has been widely used given it 24-hr lifespan! (if memory serves correctly)

4. MF

MF Registered Users

Not at all! You always have such interesting contributions, and when they're on my thread then I'm definitely sure to be notified.

And Snowie says he's very honored it's on his thread!

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Got it covered - I stick the same links into every neutering thread that comes up. Just call me the defender of the (dog) family jewels. :D

MF likes this.
  6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I will read it later.

7. Doglover12345

Doglover12345 Registered Users

I agree with your thoughts on the studies. I appreciate differing opinions and am always open to learning. Fortunately I'm able to give my dog 2+ hours worth of exercise every day with mental stimulation. He only marks when I allow him to. If he's on a heel he won't do that. If I didn't have time for this then I may see bad behaviours and consider castration. But then I see tons and tons of neutered dogs that are not calm and ill behaved. Testosterone has many benefits to dogs, it protects against cancers and disease, and actually has a calming effect as it is turned into the hormone DHA, which stimulates the brain follicles and is calming and pleasurable to them. Treating dogs with Finasteride lowers the amount of DHA but doesn't alter testosterone. Saw palmetto I believe lowers testosterone and DHA but not completely as would neutering.

Stacia likes this.
  8. Doglover12345

Thanks Snowshoe, I've emailed the vet and am waiting on a response re: constipation. My vet also said the same about neutering.

9. Doglover12345

Hi MF, I know all of the differing opinions from Vets can be so confusing, I went through it as well:( My wait and see was to see if the dripping blood returned, he also was leaking a bit of bloody prostate fluid when sleeping. I had an ultrasound and urinalysis done at the time as well and it was enlarged, but only mildly. It went away for four months then returned, I had another ultrasound done and it was then moderately enlarged. Then I saw another Veterinarian that had experience with BPH and she said to start treating it as this condition progresses, even if signs aren't present, they can go away and come back. As I understand now, the time to start treating it is when any symptoms display themselves, ie blood in urine or dripping from penis, bloody prostate fluid, reduced urine or hesitancy to urinate or weak stream, constipation, etc. And, as you stated above, some people do treat even if there are no signs as a preventative measure. Please keep me posted on how Snowie does:)

10. Doglover12345

Did anyone have side effects when trying the TCM or Saw Palmetto? Since starting the Finasteride my boy has been licking his lips a lot and drinking a ton of water, and is super hungry as well. I'm still waiting on a response from my vet.

11. Doglover12345

I also wanted to say to all people that read this or any of my posts that I'm in no way sure that what I'm doing is correct, or even that my veterinarian opinions are 100% correct, these are just my choices from my experiences and I may be wrong. Neutering can be a good thing in many circumstances, I would never want to discourage someone from neutering if needed.

Stacia likes this.