Best Chew Toys for a Lab Puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JB, May 28, 2019.

1. JB

JB Registered Users

What are your favorite chew toys for a lab puppy? I have a kong and I have a few chuck-it toys. Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I’d like to make sure he has enough variety. Thanks!

2. Liza

Liza Registered Users

Our yellow lab pup LOVES the Himalayan dog chews. A wonderful distraction- phew!

3. Simba2017

Simba2017 Simba and Minstrel worn out

All of my other 2 Labradors toys and bones which he has to drag along!!!!! The adult dogs love the toys I bought for my puppy!!

4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Rope pulls are great for tug. Also Nylabones. Tuffy brand toys are less destructible than most, though that is not a big issue with small pups.

helen reid likes this.
  5. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

I'm writing this while Luna dismembers her third plush "woodland animal" (it's Foxy's turn to have his head ripped off today). I'm resigned to the fact that we need to buy new toys every month and that we'll never be able to leave her unsupervised, but as compromises go, it's not a bad one. I tend to find that she likes different textures at different times of day so some of this might be useful:

When she wants to chew material, generally I let her have an old towel (she just tears off the material, rolls it in her mouth and spits it out), or the GoDog toys are more robust than most.

When she wants to chew wood (this is a good one for redirecting off furniture) then Ancoroot or coffee wood chews are good.

For edible chews, then Yak chews are great (but not too often in our case as they can give her the squits) and Lily's Kitchen Woof Brushes are also good for a one off (they last about 2 minutes though). We've also used dried sweet potato chews which you can buy in tubs. They're chewy and last for a good 5 minutes. You can give them 2 or 3 of these as they're just pure veg.

We avoid rawhide or pig ears etc, and although she loves deer antlers, she chews so hard that I'm scared she'll crack a tooth or something, so these are packed away for now.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  6. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Haha,go figure!

7. Blaine

Blaine Registered Users

My Pupper has destroyed every make and model of chew toys I got her. Finally found a totally indestructible chew toy for her. They are made by Outwardhound and they are the Bionic line of toys.... Shes also gets a couple of bully sticks once a week and some fresh marrow bones from the butcher....I do not leave her unattended with those, and when she cleans out the marrow bone, I throw it away so she doesn't just grind on it....

8. Dallas

Dallas Registered Users

My little guy prefers to chase his big Husky “sister” off of her cow femur bone when he wants to chew. He’s got a huge variety of his own toys, including a nice big cow rib bone, but that’s not good enough for him. Nope, he’s got to take what the big dog has. She could tell him no, but she chooses to let him have her bone so that he won’t chew on her. Such a wise old dog... lol

9. BacktoBlack

BacktoBlack Registered Users

Maggie is 6 months now and still loves anything that makes a noise. She has lost all her baby teeth but when she had them everything she chewed was softer. Frozen Kongs (the softer puppy one) was and still is a fav. I need to buy more, they are a life savor when we need to get things done and she is desperate to chew. So far not a big tug of war girl so I haven't invested in many of those.

10. Supermom

Supermom Registered Users

We have been using Himalayan yak bars and recently got antlers..but am worried about antlers though..if it can lead to a broken tooth..he goes through yak bars so fast..that I am at my wits on the amount I spend on it..

11. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

The Goughnuts range are pretty tough. Like Kongs, the toughest ones are black. They are quite expensive though. Another option (under supervision) is a really massive rawhide bone that you remove once it starts to soften and come apart. Again not cheap. Antlers are a worry because they are so very hard. Vets are seeing quite a few tooth fractures in dogs that have access to them.

12. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

We have a goughnut stick. It's certainly indestructible but Loki just isn't interested in it. It's ok for playing fetch but we prefer the starmark balls for that. The everlasting chew part is pointless but the balls themselves have a nice nobbly surface you can smear with peabutter andyou can put small treats inside ,which I usually do at the end of a game. For tug (and chewing and just to carry around) he has the leg of a pair of jeans knotted twice in the middle. Plaited bully sticks are a bit more long lasting than the ordinary ones but expensive.

13. SianMJ

SianMJ Registered Users

My mouthy lab 18 week old puppy has been enjoying bully sticks/ pizzles since 4 months and yak chews and she has the wood root. The pizzels are her favourites and a large one can keep her entertained for 2 hrs, but we take it away at around 3 inches as she will pop it all in her moth then and start to gag (I might gag with the smell at times too!). The yak milk chew lasts much longer - so far a week and do not smell. She will nibble on the antler and wood now and again. She did have a puppy nylabone at 3months, but she ate it and its contains nylon, which made her vomit at night and poo bits of plastic- never having that again.

14. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

Willow has nyla bones she loves and is ready for a new one she also has a few of the kong toys she has a thing you put doggy toothpaste inside and the chewing cleans her teeth.
    I got her some bully sticks that cost me nearly £20 and they gave her tbe squits.
    She has a fox toy that has lasted quite well.
    She has hard balls as she rips tennis ball apart.