Best dog chew toy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by ayres, Apr 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ayres

ayres Registered Users

So Alfie has gone crazy today chewing anything he can apart from his toys. we have various cuddly toys a couple of rope toys a tougher fabric chew toy, and a pets at home chicken flavored puppy chew bone and none are interesting him as much as literally anything else.
    What is best to substitute him with when he's chewing bits we don't want him chewing?
    Thanks
    Craig

2. Maxx's Mum

Maxx's Mum Registered Users

I found empty plastic juice bottles (remove the top and the plastic round bit that the top screws into) work a treat. Nice and noisy when he throws it around. Also empty egg cartons, empty cling wrap cardboard rolls - but they will make a mess but it only takes seconds to sweep it up. We too have expensive chew toys that he largely ignores!

3. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Yup, the plastic bottles work a treat. Also, if you keep all their toys in a basket and give one or two at a time they become more interesting. We pick up everything in the early evening then dish out a different toy every day or two. Duggan gets excited to play with something he hasn’t seen for a few weeks.

4. GaryC

GaryC Every day is a school day with a Lab pup.

I had similiar issues. I had bought him a bone so he could eat the marrow from it, which he sat with for a few hours until bored one evening. what i then do is add water to some of his normal daily food, mush it up a bit and stuff the bone with that, and then freeze it over night / two nights. he then spends another hour or two with it when bored. He does like the chicken plastic chew that you mention as well though, but its nearly dead now.

5. SimoneB

SimoneB Registered Users

I need a new outdoor watering can, but it has kept him occupied for ages...

edzbird and drjs@5 like this.
  6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:cwl:
    Yup, been there, done that!

@ayres your pup is just little, may be teething? Is he too young? - sometimes an old dishtowel, soaked and wrung out, then popped in the freezer to solidify a bit, can be a good chew toy.

7. ayres

ayres Registered Users

@drs@5 yeah Alfie is still v young 9 weeks old today, so still settling in and testing everything.
    i get he's going to chew bits but want to be able to distract him, bottle worked v well for about 15 mins then back to whatever else he can find.

8. Beezette

Beezette Registered Users

We had a set of colourful bacon flavoured keys that were from pets at home I think. They were the invaluable during crocopup moments in our house

edzbird likes this.