best dog food?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by laurenxo, Apr 9, 2016.

1. laurenxo

laurenxo Registered Users

kibble etc posting alot today i know lol i love this site though its really informative i heard bakers and pedigree is really bad were r currently on wagg but im torn between james wellbeloved and Eukanuba

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Lauren, it's a really difficult thing to say. There are many different foods out there that are perfectly good for your dog, so even on this forum, you'll get loads of different responses if you ask what people feed. I think JWB and Eukanuba are both perfectly fine, as long as they suit your dog. That's the main thing. Does your dog like it? Does he look healthy, with a shiny coat and eyes? Does he have plenty of energy? And, most importantly, of course, does he make good poos with it!!! :poop:

Saba's Boss and Nade like this.
  3. laurenxo

the current one shes on now is fine i just read lots of things on how some kibbles can cause cancer and stuff maybe its not true? its just scary to read tbh and mainly swapping to help her lose abit of weight

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You don't need to swap food to have her lose weight, you just need to reduce the amount she's eating, or increase the amount she's moving :)

I wouldn't feed a very cheap food (such as a supermarket brand food) myself, but I'm sure that if they were truly bad for dogs' health, they'd be investigated and taken off the shelves. One thing I'd take into consideration is the relative amounts of different foods you have to feed. You often find that with the cheaper ones, you have to feed more, because they end up pooping more of it out, so it can be false economy!

Nade likes this.
  5. Nade

Nade Registered Users

As @snowbunny said, there is not such thing as best brand of food. There is only food that your dog likes and it suits him/her and the other one, that id doesnt suit him/her. Does he eat it with delight, how much does he poo, how does his coat look like ect. These are the main things you should look on your dog to see if a certain food is good. I say the dog will ,,tell you,, itself. People can tell you a brand that is suits for them, but how your dog is going to react....well its up to him. Here, we can only give you suggestions. For example, Pro plan did miracles for my dog

MaccieD and Jes72 like this.
  6. laurenxo

oh ok thanks everyone, yeah her coat is shiny and she poops 3 times a day at least!

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I'm not sure why you would be swapping foods for your dog to lose weight. There are very few calorie reduced dog foods on the market. The simplest method of reducing weight is a reduction in the quantity of the food and treats given.

Stacia likes this.
  8. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

We've been feeding our little guy on guru cold pressed food http://www.gurupetfood.com/
    He absolutely loves it and it smells great compared to normal kibble. His stools are firm and healthy also which is a bonus! We started on hills science plan puppy food but his stools were really runny. Also looking on all about dog food guru scored 4.9 out of 5 and is suitable for all life stages.

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

There some food comparison websites around too if you want to dig into ingredients and compare them to each other.

In the main though (and as the owner of a very picky eater) I say choose your budget, buy the best you can find in that budget and make sure it suits your dog as everyone above has said :)

laurenxo likes this.
  10. laurenxo

yeah she has kibble and chicken&tripe meat and rice twice a week too, weight seems to be improving abit but time will tell

11. laurenxo

oops double post

12. James N Mast

James N Mast Registered Users

My dog is my best friend and I always try to feed him the best food. I always buy VitaLife dog foods for him. Their foods are full with 100% animal protein, vitamins, and minerals. You can visit their site to know more about their products.