Best puppy food for puppies

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by NeSt, Nov 15, 2021.

1. NeSt

NeSt Registered Users

Our Puppy is now 11 weeks and still has a very liquid stool. We went twice to the vet. He is on the food the breeder gave him, still we start to wonder if it is the food that causes this or if it is normal until a certain age because his stomach is not mature. Does someone know of any dry food that would suit such a puppy? (Going back tomorrow to the vet)

2. Martha B

Martha B Registered Users

I feel your frustration. My girl now is 11 months old and for the first month we had her she was okay then she started with the loose stools. We went through 3 rounds of antibiotics and probiotics along with putting her on canine gasto dog food. This was on and off for 3 or 4 months. They tested her for parasites and cholera, all was negative. She is on purina pro plan large breed puppy food chicken flavor. No loose stools but she is having allergies to something as she is constantly itchy with anal gland issues. So I need to find a food to help with this issue. It's not seasonal as she has been doing this since she was 3 months old. I won't do grain free because that causes heart problems.
    Watch what type of treats she gets and ask your vet for a probiotic, that seemed to work for her.
    What type of food is your pup on?
    If anyone has any suggestions for food for food allergies I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
    Good luck, I know it's frustrating.

3. NeSt

NeSt Registered Users

Thanks for your help. He is on Costco (canada)puppy food (chicken/rice), what he ate at the breeder. He received probiotics from the vet but it does not seem to change a thing :)

4. Martha B

Martha B Registered Users

I'm so sorry as I know how frustrating this is and all you want is a happy healthy pup.
    I forgot to tell you that our girl was eating all the wonderful treats falling out of the pine trees...pine needles, male pine cones, the whirly helicopter things. Those seemed to be the start of things. Then we got a raw hide from the training facility and I think it may of had some sort of bacteria that I found out was what really would start the diarrhea. That of course went into the trash! Now I think my girl has pica because she wasn't allowed to be the puppy and eat and explore her surroundings. We had to keep a very watchful eye on her so she wouldn't eat anything outside. As I said she is 11 months old and she will try to eat everything she can, whether it's in the yard or on walks. I constantly say leave it or drop it, most things go down the throat!
    Good luck

5. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I'd worm with a giardia dose of panacur and move her onto a balanced raw diet.