Best sort of harness

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Teddy&Hollysmum, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Teddy&Hollysmum

Teddy&Hollysmum Registered Users

Hi,
    We are going back to basics with Teddy, he is 12 months old and never been a puller or a runaway but over the past few weeks he seems to have turned into a typical teenager lol. His recall has gone out the window and his pulling is awful. So I have picked up a harness today, it's a halti, non pull harness (not one that goes on the nose as im not a fan of those) we have got it on but just wandered if anyone had any recommendations for the best sort, I'm going to give this a go andif it works the next one I get I think I want one that maybe clips as this one has to go over his head and legs and doesn't unclip. If anyone's got a really good one and can recommend I would be extremely grateful...I want walking to be fun for us all. Many thanks Claire x

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

We love the Haqihana. It is soft and the girth straps sit well back from the armpits, so no chafing. Both dogs have one. It does go over the head, but the girth straps fasten up either side.

The Perfect Fit is another nice harness, it comes in 3 pieces so you can get the right fit. Fleece lined, it seems very comfy. I have a 40mm width one which belonged to our big Lab. It's a bit on the bulky side for Coco, but he wore it for a Mantrailing session the other week. Also comes in 20mm width.

Our old dog Belle had a Halti-style no-pull. She seemed to like it. It didn't stop pulling. I think it was just the fact that the lead was no longer clipped to the colloar that she liked. She liked the ritual of putting it on..."numbr one leg, number two leg", probably because this meant we were going for a walk. I wouldn't use one again, now I know better. It tightens up under the front legs.

Teddy&Hollysmum likes this.
  3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

The Haqihana is a great harness (I have one too) but it is only a back-fastening harness so if you have a dog prone to pulling or who you are struggling to control, it's not the best choice.

Perfect Fits are a better choice for a dog known to pull or which is strong. My new favourite is the DOG Copenhagen Comfort Fit Air harness, but I'm not sure if those are available in the US yet as they are made in Denmark.

Otherwise, the harness which gives the most control of all (IMO) is the Freedom harness - but this one does run across the chest of the dog. Still, for people who are really challenged when it comes to control, that is better than any other device other than a harness...