Best training treats and advice

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by leemyka, Dec 26, 2018.

1. leemyka

leemyka Registered Users

What’s the best training treat for a raw fead puppy of 8 months, been using dry sprats but they are not cutting it no more.

He’s all of a sudden just stoppped listening is this also normal.¿, he’s on a 10m training lead all the time so can’t get far. He’s brilliant with people and bikes but he sees a dog and his brain goes through the window thinks every dog wants to play.

Thanks Lee

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @leemyka

It is normal behaviour. If I gave you an M&M every time you did something desirable then after 6 months you might say I'm tired of them, Everyday the same thing. I want something else. Variety is the spice of life in dog training too.

You can try carrot or apple

3. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

I give mine tiny bits of cheese or sausage for high value treats or kibble other times.

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I am alert to the sound of food-issues(!) because I see them so often in the dogs I see at class...!

1) Are you training him with every meal, in the house?
    2) Are you giving him no free food which he doesn't work for?
    3) Are you over-feeding him?

Would be my main concerns.

If you are training him for every meal in the house and he gets no food he doesn't work for, and you are not over-feeding him, then by all means increase the variety of the treats he gets to include any meat or cheese.

But to do that if there are any issues in 1 to 3 above, is just papering over the cracks...

5. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

My dog is also raw fed. When he was younger and I had big problems with behaviour (hes a rescue) I would literally take his dinner with me on walks - producing a surprise tub of tripe every now then fixed his recall and created positive associations with going back on the lead. I now mostly use dehydrated treats- I usually buy things like dehydrated chicken from Zooplus but I've just started dehydrating my own in the oven which seems to work well. Cooked chicken or pheasant (always an abundance of pheasant at this time of year ) make good high value treats, boiled is easy you can just pull the meat off the bone .