Big sister always spoils the party!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Rob Holden, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Rob Holden

Rob Holden Registered Users

Hi there. We have two 8-month old black labrador bitches (who were litter mates). They are absolutely super dogs - they are great fun and appear to adore each other (and us, thank goodness!), and the training is going well so far. However, our little 'excitability' problem has got us stumped. Generally they play well together, but when they are off the lead and begin to run free, the larger more boisterous dog becomes hyper-excited and is constantly dragging the slightly smaller dog to the ground and rolling her. I think the play gets a little rough, as we have discovered small scabs within the fur on her back. This happens when we throw a ball or toy, too - the smaller dog is keen to fetch it and begins to run after it; the larger is not interested but impedes her progress, resulting in general 'rough housing'. We feel that the smaller dog would love to run free and fetch toys but she doesn't get the opportunity without being ambushed! Any ideas which you might have would be so very gratefully received! Many thanks. Rob

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Big sister always spoils the party!

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum

You have certainly got your hands full!

Yours is a difficult problem and it does sound as though you need to take some action to avoid the more gentle dog from becoming stressed through the constant harassment.

Like most gundog trainers, I always exercise young dogs separately until they are ready to participate in group training sessions. This is for lots of reasons, including avoiding the problem you have here.

One of the reasons that most breeders will not sell littermates, or even two puppies from different litters of the same age is because one puppy will sometimes bully the other. The other main reason is because the two dogs can become fixated on one another to the exclusion of their humans, and to the detriment of their training. However, as your training is going well, hopefully you have avoided the latter problem.

Some people with littermates get away with group exercise without too many problems but it sounds as though you may need to take action to separate the two dogs until you have advanced their training enough to call the rougher dog away for some good rewards, when she oversteps the mark.

This could mean exercising them completely separately, or, keeping one dog on the lead whilst the other runs free, and vice versa. Another option might be to use a trailing training lead on the stronger dog, then you will have more control over her and can intervene by picking up the end and restraining her, when things get too rough.

You will need to reward her generously for 'breaking away' from the other dog, or she will quickly view your intervention as a punishment and may even begin to avoid you.

With retrieving it is absolutely essential to train separately until both dogs are at a stage where they can sit and watch the other one take its turn. If you carry on as you are, you will probably put the dog that likes to retrieve off for good.

I hope that helps a bit, I don't think there are any easy answers, it is probably a question of trying out some different techniques and seeing what works best for you.

Pippa

3. Rob Holden

Rob Holden Registered Users

Thanks, Pippa - that has certainly helped a good deal. We have a trailing training lead and I shall be taking this with us on our morning walk tomorrow! Thank you again. Rob

4. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Interested in how you go Rob as i have a similar issue sometimes with my two. Not littermates and six months apart i age but i guess similar enough in age for potential to develop issues outlined by pippa. The elder cuillin seems to enjoy rough housing brodick sometimes when he is running after a ball or just running for the joy of running, she will bring him down and start really rough play. Eight times out of ten he will rough house her back but he is a gentle boy and sometimes i can tell he doesnt want to, othertimes his tail is wagging and he seems up for a hoolie. On the times when he doesnt look like he wants to rough play i have started calling cuillin off and rewarding her for calling off... This seemed a bit wrong as i felt i was rewarding her for bullying brodick so it was good to read pippas advice to you to know thats what u should do. Ive also started taking control of their playing together a lot more now and even if they both seem to b enjoying wild hoolie i will sometimes break it up just so they know that its my call when play stops...im a complete novice owner and make a lot of this up as i go along so its been helpdul for me to read your thread! Be interested to see how you go, i sometimes have to really bawl at cuillin to call her off she is so focused on rumbling...