Bile in the morning

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Shaz82, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Today is Maisy's first birthday and she celebrated by sicking up some bile on her way in to work with me in the car. Previous to that she had opened one present which she got excited about and playful and been to the loo, no food.

She has done this a couple of times before, once at home when she had had some anaesthetic a few days earlier, so not worried about that. Once in the same situation - on the way to work in the car.

There seems to be no reason for this and I wonder if it is just normal - anyone else have this happen?
    She is a bit subdued after and eats grass so we just have a sniffabout walk rather than a lot of exercise, she perks up as the day goes on.

Could it just be occasional motion sickness?

2. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I seem to remember sicking up bile can be hunger - I expect some one will be along soon with some good advice :).

Shaz82 likes this.
  3. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

That's a thought, but she had her last meal at 8pm the night before, I did reduce it a bit to allow for treats given in the day though. Aren't they always hungry?

4. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Odie used to throw up bile before breakfast if I didn’t feed him at a certain time or if he didn’t eat enough the night before. Took me a little while to find his perfect routine but it stopped as soon as I did.

Shaz82 likes this.
  5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

We had this with Belle - she would get up at about 4am & sick up bile. I took her to the vet to verify that it was probably only due to hunger, she said yes, and suggested a small snack before bed time - so we reserved a tiny portion of her 6pm meal for supper time - bingo! Bile gone. If the snack didn't work, the vet did say there was medication (ranitidine) available to help, but it would be for life.
    Since we had Belle when we got Coco, he also had to have a tiny supper before bed time...Belle is no longer with us, but her legacy lives on, I can't see Coco would stand for us cutting out what he thinks is an extra meal :rolleyes:

Also Scooby - on his first night with us, come bed time, he went out for his last wee and off he went to bed - imagine his surprise & delight when he found out about the "extra" meal :D

MF and Shaz82 like this.
  6. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Yep, Ella did this with hunger too. On a couple of occasions we'd fed her dinner quite early and we'd been woken up to her vomiting a little bile in the morning. Now, if we are going out, we'll give her half of her dinner early and the other half when we get home. This stopped the bile incidents.

Shaz82 likes this.
  7. MF

MF Registered Users

Same here. 4am bile vomit due to hunger (according to vet). Snowie gets dinner at around 6/7pm (depends on when his last walk ends) - 400 gm raw meaty bone and meat plus a raw carrot. Then another 100 gm raw meat snack at 7.45pm promptly! He has a perfect internal watch!! We tried to feed the late snack at 9pm, but it got earlier and earlier over a couple of years - try saying no to a drooling dog who begs for his snack 5 mins earlier each night! We now draw the line at 7.45pm, no earlier, but sometimes he sleeps through his alarm clock and then he gets his snack later. He also gets bits of our dinner (raw and cooked veg) and a cup of kefir, plus a nub of butter as his bedtime treat at 10pm. So his tummy is full, resulting in no more early morning hunger pukes. For breakfast he only gets 200 gm meat (plus a few spoons of sweet potatoe for administering meds), but he seems satisfied and can last through to dinner with no hunger pukes during the day (my husband works from home and invariably feeds him some of his lunch - usually brussel sprouts!).

Shaz82 likes this.
  8. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

It does sound as if hunger could be the cause. You could try giving just a couple of little biscuits at bedtime and see if it helps.

Shaz82 likes this.
  9. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Yes, our first lab had this too! She was hungry and if we were too late giving her breakfast the bile was in her crate. We didn’t want to over feed her. She also had easily an upset tummy. Finn does this too if he has been very energetic and I give him the same amount of food instead of a little more

Shaz82 likes this.
  10. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Wow, I did not think this was so common, it really helps to have this forum with everyone's experience.
    To hear that it is not unusual is very reassuring and also that it is easily sorted, I am pretty certain Maisy will not refuse a late night treat :clap:.

MF likes this.
  11. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Oh dear, air freshener anyone?

MF likes this.
  12. MF

MF Registered Users

:rofl:

Snowie or my husband?!

Shaz82 likes this.
  13. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Well I was thinking it but didn't like to say!!!

14. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper did that once or twice when she was under a year. Not any more though. She and Tilly can wait "Impatiently", all day for food without getting sick.

Shaz82 likes this.
  15. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

We had two that would do this if weren’t fed breakfast on time. I can imagine a car ride would only make it worse.

Shaz82 and selina27 like this.
  16. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Xena does this from time to time (every morning for two or three days then nothing for months) and there's no rhyme or reason - in fact, dinner's usually later in summer than in winter and she still does it. Brekkie is always at the same time. If it becomes a regular thing I'll try to extra mini meal.

Shaz82 likes this.
  17. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

I can't feed Maisy her first meal until about 10am as we go in the car at 7.30am (I like to leave an hour after feeding for travel and 6.30 is too early for me). Then we have a good walk so food has to be an hour after that, she is happy with brekkie at this time and then settles down for a sleep. Our routine used to start earlier but Maisy is happy to lie in until 7 and does not seem interested in early eating like she did as a pup, so she always has an empty tummy in the morning, hence the bile.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it but I gave her a small snack last thing last night and will get into this habit as you all suggest, good idea.

18. MF

MF Registered Users

What about a snack before the drive? Does she get motion sickness - is that why no breakfast?

19. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

She once was sick in the car because she had had breakfast just before travelling so that's why I leave it til later, she brought up all her breakfast. But she is not bothered about eating first thing anyway, she used to stand by her bowl eagerly but is now just interested it getting out in the car as she knows she will get a nice walk. I think she gets more hungry after a runabout as well.

20. HAH

HAH Registered Users

Sooo...on the topic of bringing up food: our pup Kipper is nearly 7 months, and we recently dropped his meals from 3x a day to 2x a day (7am, treats during the day and 6pm) and upped the amounts he was getting per meal (about +25%). All went well for a day or two, then he regurgitated his food during the night, and mid-morning over a couple of days. Then he brought up bile yesterday morning in the wee hours (I only knew it was bile from this forum - thanks all, otherwise I'd have been properly panicking).
    We took him to the vets 2 days ago, who prescribed antacids but was also talking about - if it didn't improve in a few days - barium meals and endoscopies :eek: He didn't mention changes around 2 vs 3 meals per day, and we hadn't thought of it at that point. The main thing to note is that Kipper is good in himself; bright, perky, great condition, not noticeably off-colour although he is a little more whiny/fussy than usual. But he's also teething, has slightly smelly breath and (possibly linked) still has one baby canine hanging on (not uncommon?).

My question for more experienced hands is: does this sort of thing ring a bell for anyone when they dropped meals from 3 to 2 a day? Does reinstating 3x meals a day for another couple of weeks make sense? Anything else obvious this could be that we should look out for? My main reassurance is that he's good in himself, and I'm not keen to rush to invasive procedures, but I'm still aware we're fairly inexperienced and I'm pretty anxious...