Bitch pregnant??

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by tullimore1976, May 12, 2015.

1. tullimore1976

tullimore1976 Registered Users

Hi this is my first time to these forums and i hope someone can help my queries.
    I have a black lab bitch and 4 weeks ago i brought her to a stud dog which is a field trial champion. They tied twice in about 4 days. All was going well until about two weeks in, i noticed a yellow discharge appearing in her pee. It also dripped from her the odd time. I was told by my mum (who used to breed rough collies) that this is normal towards the end of her heat. I brought her to the vet anyway and he checked her out and said she was very red down below. He said it was either one of three things:- just the end of her season, trauma from the dog or worst case scenario it was higher up her urinary system. He prescribed an antibiotic for 5 days and at the end of those 5 days it seemed to have cleared up apart from the odd tiny amount of yellowy mucous in her pee now and again.
    Now it is week 4 and i am due to bring "Jet" for her scan next Tuesday to see if she is pregnant or not. After her antibiotics had finished, this yellowy mucous appeared again although not as much as before the antibiotic. It only seems to appear when she has peed and the odd wee bit on her blanket when she gets up in the morning.
    Yesterday she began to go off her normal kibble and today she completely refused it and was then sick, but soon after ate alternatives She is eating chicken, rice, tuna, and her dog treat biscuits and drinking well but will pick through her kibble to get at it if i mix it in. She is in great form and is still enjoying her walks and is alert and playful as always and her nose is cool and wet.
    I know i may be being paranoid and my mum seems to think that Jet is definately pregnant and there is nothing to worry about if Jet is acting mostly herself.
    Im not too concerned about her refusing some food but was a little worried about this discharge. Hopefully someone else has experienced this and can explain if its anything to worry about as this is our first time experiencing the breeding and puppy journey.

P.S. I would have contacted the stud dog owner but he is in USA at the moment.

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I would not wait until Tuesday for the vet to see your bitch. When symptoms recur after the end of a course of antibiotics it is reasonable to suspect that the infection is not cleared. Whether or not she is pregnant you need to make sure there is no infection and treat her if there is one.

Do take her to the vet asap ,and let us know how you get on.

3. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Another vote for a trip to the vet here. You can get some pretty nasty infections after mating so better safe than sorry.

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Totally agree , Vets for sure, I hope your girl is ok, please pop back to let us know .

5. tullimore1976

Ill get her to the vets tomorrow evening and let you all know how she gets on, thanks again

6. pippa@labforumHQ

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi, welcome to the forum, and good luck at the vet's, please let us know how you get on.

8. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

I'd take her to the vets just for peace of mind but wouldn't panic.
    A bit of clear-ish discharge is normal & so is going off the food in the middle of pregnancy. She might just have morning sickness. Try to feed her few times a day but smaller amounts.
    When my girl was off food a little bit of tuna in oil or scrambled eggs added to her food worked wonders :)

9. tullimore1976

Ok, just back from my vets. And the GREAT news is that shes in pup!!! So excited and delighted.
    She had a look at Jet and again her temp was normal. She had a wee look at the discharge and said it was quite yellow but not that smelly (which is apparently a good but gross sign lol). It seems that the previous antibiotic had just cleared it up whenever the tablets had finished so the infection quickly came back.
    She decided to do a scan to make sure there was no infection in her womb and she said the good news is shes in pup so that means there is no infection in her womb.
    She said its hard to tell with her going off the food whether its to do with the infection or to do with her being pregnant. We could see at least 3 black pockets on the scanner screen so she says she has at least 3 pups.
    She prescribed another course of "Synulox" this time for 10 days instead of the 5 days last time and i just have to go back if it hasnt cleared up after the 10 days.
    I cant wait now and looking forward to the middle of June to see her little babies. Thanks again for those of whom who listened and advised me on here, and hopefully my experience will help others who may experience the same problem.

10. pippa@labforumHQ

That's great news for you. So pleased you went and that you have another course of antibiotics to put her right. :)

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Wonderful news!! Can't wait to see photos of the little ones...

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

How exciting for you (maybe not quite so exciting for Jet :D )
    Hope all is smooth running

13. tullimore1976

Hope so. She ate a little plain rice tonight along with some Chappie, just hope she gets back to her greedy self again lol as i want her fit and well for 5 weeks time!!!! Cant believe were going to have puppies!!! Hard work ahead but hopefully rewarding work!!

14. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

Good news. Fingers crossed for easy whelp & healthy pups :)
    Start monitoring her temperature from about day 52 at least twice a day.
    Have you got everything ready? Exciting times ahead of you :)

15. tullimore1976

This is what i wanted to know, what all i need etc. We are making her whelping box in my garden shed. Its a good size and is warm and dry. Ive been collecting newspapers since we bred her. Needing to sort out dimensions for whelping box etc. The man that has the stud dog says he will keep me right but he is in America at the minute so i cant get in touch with him until he is home. Can someone direct me to somewhere that shows everything i need or if someone can give me a list that would be great.
    On another note, is there a way of taking her temp without the anal route?

16. kateincornwall

So pleased to hear your news , on both counts :) Can I recommend you buy a book called The Book of the Bitch, it will tell you all you need to know about pregnant bitches and help you when her time comes nearer too , well worth getting, Amazon sell it .

17. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

I second the above - The Book of the Bitch is like a bible for breeders :)
    We had whelping box more or less 6' x 4' with a divider making it 4' x 4' - it makes cleaning a lot easier as you can put puppies on the smaller side when changing bedding.
    Have you got a bed in that shed where you're planning her whelping box - someone should sleep with pups & mum for at least 2 weeks (we stayed for 3).
    About temperature check - I don't know better way than anal thermometer but others might recommend something else. Is your girl nervous when checking her temp?
    You also need a bit of puppy formula & a bottle just in case anything goes wrong. They sell whelping kits on ebay - worth looking at them as you'll find everything you might need in there.
    I hope that helps :)
    If you have any more question don't hesitate to ask - I'm not very experienced but have wonderful mentors so even if I wouldn't know I'll try to find out for you :)

[​IMG]

18. tullimore1976

I really appreciate this and will probably have you tortured with questions. I dont think the shed would be great for us sleeping in there is enough room for a whelping box but not sure about me lol. We have a baby monitor which i was going to hook up in the last 2 weeks or so. I would loved to have had the whelping box in the dining room where the floor is tiled etc, but i think my wife would go beserk if i suggest that lol. What height did you make the whelping box? And i was told to make a groove a bit lower so Jet can leave the pups when she needs to relieve herself etc.

19. tullimore1976

Just ordered "Book of the Bitch" lol, im probably going overboard but ive never done this before and i need to make sure im prepared lol

20. kateincornwall

Good for you, you aren't going overboard at all, its far better to be prepared than not ;)