Bitch pregnant??

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by tullimore1976, May 12, 2015.

1. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Well done, Jet, and well done you! Such a pity about the first little puppy, but great that you managed to save number seven and now have eight healthy puppies. Hope all continues to go well. Keep us posted!

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Eight healthy pups is fantastic. Sounds like you and Jet were a good team :)

Sorry about the little one that didn't make it. That is sad, but I don't think it's at all unusual....

Jet looks like she's taking it all in her stride :)

3. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

What a lovely bundle - congratulations again :) Well done both of you :)
    I used Velcro collars with no problems.
    Little white flash on chest is ok according to the breed standard :)
    Remember to cut their nails in about 5-6 days so they don't scratch mummy :)

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just back from my board meeting and so happy to hear that you have eight good strong pups - congratulations!

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, they're beautiful. Well done Jet - and well done you for saving number 7. I had similar with the ones I helped to whelp and it's such a fabulous feeling to know that you saved a little life that wouldn't have made it without you. That little flash obviously shows that it's a very special little puppy :)

Get yourself some kitchen scales to weigh them, so you can make sure they're all feeding well.

Now, when do we - uh, sorry - you get to start choosing names? ;)

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

And... are you going to be keeping one? And if so, will it be little Flash???

7. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

So cute and Jet looks a very proud mum. Hope all is going well.
    Mira was the only one of her litter with a white chest flash - it was the deciding factor in choosing her :)

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh massive congratulations,so,sorry about the first little mite,you did an amazing job on number 7 ...and you sound like you dealt with it really calmly.that little pup would be special to me I think I'd have to keep it!is keeping one on the cards...sorry if you've said already x So glad Jet looks so well too.Good luck with all the post natal care now ,lots of pics please and news of how they are getting on x

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aww amazing photo's, so glad Jet is OK and doing well with the pups. Very sad that one didn't make it, I am so sorry :(:( x

10. tullimore1976

tullimore1976 Registered Users

We've decided as a family to name the pups with names which mean something to our family. For instance ive picked Stan and Ollie (as im a Laurel and Hardy fan), Luis (my favourite ever Liverpool player Suarez), my daughter has named one Elsa (Frozen obviously) and Aurora (another Disney Princess) and my wife has named one Yellow Rose, after one of her roses in our garden which means alot to her. Other pups still to be named. We also discovered today that TWO of the pups have a white flash on their chests, one boy and one girl, must be twins!!

11. tullimore1976

Yes we are going to keep one, we have decided NOT to pick one, what we are going to do is keep the last one remaining, so whether Boy or Girl, he/she will be well and truly loved if no-one else wants him/her!

12. tullimore1976

It was sad to lose one, but saving the other ones life DID make me feel alot better. The one that arrived at the end also (which we didnt see coming and was a complete suprise as Jet didnt be seen to be contracting) was a boy. My 7yr old daughter told me that God put the dead puppy back in her tummy to allow it to be born again. Tears in my eyes!!

13. tullimore1976

I have one concern with Jet at the moment is that she seems to be dripping a black liquid from her vulva. Ive read that if its foul smelling then she needs vet attention? I have dipped a tissue in it and it seems like a black/green colour but there is NO smell of it at all?
    She is in really good form and her eating is perking up again. Some books i read say if its not foul smelling then its normal but if its foul smelling and/or bloody she needs to be seen?

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

It really is standard to get her and all the pups to the vet within the first 48 hours, as I understand it. And from my reading, greenish/black discharge can be a sign that some foetal matter has been retained. At any rate, I would be calling the vet, now, for advice.

15. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I agree with Karen. It won't hurt to give the vet a call and ask for advice. Then, if needs be, he can come and visit, or you can take Jet and the pups in. This is a life-changing time for her and you need her to be at full fitness to fulfil her role as a mum. The last thing you want is for her to suffer from complications that might jeopardise either her health or that of her pups. Let us know how she gets on :)

16. tullimore1976

Will do, just up and they all had a good night. Jet still dripping. Ill ring the vet this morning!

17. tullimore1976

Just a wee note, i dont want any of you to think im being casual or irresponsible, but before Jet commenced her whelping, I was in with the Vet (the owner of the surgery, who im not really fussed on) and i asked him should i bring Jet and the pups in a day or two after they are born and he told me there was no need, unless i had a REAL concern. Thats why i didnt bother but as weve discussed im a little concerned about this black liquid dripping so ill get it sorted today. Her pee is running clear and her poo is beginning to return from black to a bit more normal colour but still soft.

18. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

Discharge can last up to 6 weeks but as far as I know shouldn't be dark - my girl's looked like a season blood.
    Contact your vet - I hope it's nothing serious. Have you counted placentas, did she pass all of them?
    Tbh your vet seems a bit strange for me - mine came to our house (we live only down the road from the surgery) & checked Shelby & pups.
    Keep us updated & please, please can we have some more pictures :D

19. tullimore1976

She did pass all of them and the last one i actually had to just pull it out. It was a bit pissed off with the vet too, as his surgery his literally 5mins from my house. Ah well as long as i get Jet and the little ones checked! Will post more pics later lol

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yes, I think insist on a visit. It will put your mind at rest that all is well with Jet and the pups.