Biting is relentless

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Liz Powell, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Liz Powell

Liz Powell Registered Users

Please help me!! I am really at the end of my tether!!
    Our boy is 15 weeks old and his biting is so relentless and I am so sore from all the bites. We have tried to follow all the tips in the puppy biting tips but I can’t even just stroke him ever as it end up in him biting!
    I just want him to be happy but I also don’t want to look like I have been self harming constantly ... any tips would be so greatly appreciated

2. JosiePie

JosiePie Registered Users

Ouch!

Our lad was a land shark for a good few weeks :eek: until we got through the worst of teething.

Things that helped:

1) Make sure that everyone that your puppy meets is aware of “the rules”. For us, that meant briefing family that if the puppy bites, play stops immediately, we say “no” calmly but firmly, and the human must get off the floor. I even told my father in law off :oops: but it was worth it!

2) Always have a toy to hand that it’s okay if the puppy bites. I put toys in all rooms of the house (clutter!) and every time it looked like he might turn into a shark, that toy came out and he was distracted!

3) I also told everyone NOT to shout at the puppy if he bites. To him, shouting is attention. Instead, calmly get up and walk away to a safe distance for you and pup.

He’s now 22 weeks and doesn’t bite (touch wood!)

Melwill505 likes this.
  3. Rick71

Rick71 Registered Users

Excellent advice. We encountered the same behavior and followed the advice noted. The key was distracting him with a toy. If that didn’t work, we also firmly said NO and walked behind a door fence. The worst thing we found was yelling and being forceful, which just excited him more. It just takes time and consistency.

JosiePie likes this.