Biting Puppies: Help For New Puppy Parents

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Megs

Megs Registered Users

I'd add something a local trainer shared with us that definitely helps: socialization with other puppies. Puppies need to play, and biting is how they do it. I think the idea is that it helps with bite inhibition, and with getting the fun out of their system. I was told at the beginning by a well-meaning person that puppies don't need to play with other puppies. But I have since learned that this is not correct. As long as you do it in a way that prevents disease (eg, through a trainer who can verify vaccinations) and as long as you are there to control your puppy if things get negative, it's so important. After very time our puppy goes on a playdate, his bite gets noticeably better. Once we waited a week and it got worse. We started puppy play dates at 10 weeks, and I wish I had done it even earlier. We do a minimum of two a week, with a range of ages from his own age to 1 year old. Plus there are the random encounters in our neighbourhood, which are just as important. I find that 11 month olds are particularly helpful at demonstrating that nipping can be annoying, and if our puppy holds back on his bite, he can get some fund play with a big dog who doesn't mind his moderate biting. That has taught him how to respond even more so to us so we can cuddle and relax together. When coupled with all the other tips and tools (mentioned above) the biting went from insane to tally manageable within a matter of days at 10-11 weeks, and has more or less stayed that way.

2. Hannah Beasley

Hannah Beasley Registered Users

I just wanted to say to the group those videos I shared yesterday the biting video and drop it and leave it you click on it you have to clear the captcha to see the video I used a link shorter

3. Daniludwig

Daniludwig Registered Users

Hi Pippa!

I am new here! I have a 4 month old puppy and his biting and nipping is only getting worse.. He is listens when he is biting us (myself and my partner), however he is always biting people when they try to pet him to say hello or nipping at other dogs to say hello. He is not aggressive, but he is biting almost as a greeting.

Any advice on getting on top of this or how to discipline him would be great!!!!

Dani

4. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, did you read the first post on this thread. Lots of helpful information from Pippa. Good luck, it does pass.

5. Ellie&GloBag

Ellie&GloBag Registered Users

I'm so relieved to have found this website! Every other book/ website I've read says nipping is normal but if puppy is breaking skin seek professional advice urgently. I have punctures all up my arms and legs from my 13week old fox red latching on and biting me hard! I thought I was living with one of the hounds of hell