Black dog syndrome (sad)

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by MadMudMob, Jan 14, 2014.

1. David

David Registered Users

Re: Black dog syndrome (sad)

I'm with BB and K-in-C? Just like dogs whatever colour. I do have a slight bias in Labs though towards the jet black shiny ones. ;)

The fear of black animals is probably an innate fear in some people. For example black bulls seem scarier than brown ones but ......

2. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

It's so sad. You will find this with black and black and white cats too. I remember a time when the cattery at the rescue centre I worked at was filled almost exclusively with black or black and white cats.
    This also happens with Staffordshire bull terriers - we had loads in the kennels I worked at and guaranteed the ones that were 'different' would get adopted first eg. White, blue, red. It was always the black or the brindle ones that were left, even if they were the nicest dog in the world.

One theory I heard from a colleague in the fundraising department who also looked after the website was that black dogs/animals are more difficult to photograph so don't necessarily show themselves off well on online profiles and things like that.

3. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

This was interesting to read, and so sad for the dogs.
    Winston Churchill used to refer to his recurring bouts of depression as 'the black dog' and some people think that contributed to the general preference not to have a black dog, it had been given negatives conotations (sp?). I've had more than one black dog in the past and I'd have another one in a heart beat if I had the circumstances to.

4. David

David Registered Users

My dog is jet black and beautiful - except where she's covered in fox pooh! ;D

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Over the years I have had many budgies living at my house - most of them came from the animal shelter. They told me that white, blue or grey budgies were far easier to re-home than the 'ordinary' green ones.

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Yet strange that people will pay over the odds for a Black German Shorthaired Pointer! Suppose because they are rarer. I love black dogs, black cats, black panther ;D

7. Missy33

Missy33 Registered Users

When I made the decision to get a dog, I knew I wanted a lab. I also knew I didn't want a puppy. So began my search and although there weren't many labs about, or they were snapped up pretty quick, a lot were black. This didn't bother me but I did wonder why the yellow or chocolate got pounced upon and the black were a bit slower to find homes. I'm happy with my boy, when the sun shines he gleams like glass and I get so many comments on how beautiful his coat is.
    All rescue dogs deserve a chance.

8. lablover

lablover Registered Users

I agree rescue dogs do deserve a chance. I suppose in some was Meg was rescued. Hubby and I had gone out to buy a new iron and vacuum cleaner and saw Meg in the window of pet shop. We'd lost our old girl a bit before and were thinking of having another pup. She looked so forlorn and sorry for herself we came back with her minus iron and vacuum. Turns out she was from welsh puppy farm. Had to be fate going into town that Saturday afternoon.

Jen xx

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=lablover link=topic=4037.msg61682#msg61682 date=1395150900]
    I agree rescue dogs do deserve a chance. I suppose in some was Meg was rescued. Hubby and I had gone out to buy a new iron and vacuum cleaner and saw Meg in the window of pet shop. We'd lost our old girl a bit before and were thinking of having another pup. She looked so forlorn and sorry for herself we came back with her minus iron and vacuum. Turns out she was from welsh puppy farm. Had to be fate going into town that Saturday afternoon.

Jen xx
    [/quote]

Oh Jen......a MUCH better purchase! :) :) :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The person reporting on her Master's thesis here: (“Does Black Dog Syndrome Exist?”)
    http://doyoubelieveindog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/black-dog-syndrome-bad-rap.html#.UyiAWvl_uSo

Gives many very useful reference on this topic. Who would have thought so much has been done on this? I guess it captures the imagination.

Well, possible good news:

She says: "There is very little evidence to support the concept of Black Dog Syndrome! I know animal shelter workers are going “WHAT!?” right now – I know because I AM a shelter worker – but the truth is, even if many potential adopters come to the shelter with a negative bias toward black dogs, it’s not resulting in crazy-long shelter stays or greater risk of euthanasia for black dogs. In fact, according to analysis of shelter statistics, black dogs were adopted out faster than average at both shelters in my study. Black dogs were also less likely than expected to be euthanized (good news for black dogs, eh?)."

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I wonder if they come in for a different dog though based on pictures or just knowing about the shelter because we all know how hard it can be to get a decent picture of a black dog.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=4037.msg61720#msg61720 date=1395164106]
    I wonder if they come in for a different dog though based on pictures or just knowing about the shelter because we all know how hard it can be to get a decent picture of a black dog.
    [/quote]

Yes, maybe.

I don't want to cut and paste too much of her article. Some of her references are worth a look though.

This is worth a read: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bloomsbury/azoos/2013/00000026/00000001/art00010. It appears pointy eared dogs are viewed more negatively than floppy eared dogs. Well, I'm a sucker for a floppy ear for sure.

And another study that also shows black dogs don't stay longer in shelters than other colours http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23282290. That one didn't cover pointy vs floppy though.

Tut! Gotta go do some work instead of reading about perceptions of floppy ears.

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=lablover link=topic=4037.msg61682#msg61682 date=1395150900]

Jen xx
    [/quote]
    Jen you have to stop ( not really ;D) telling us facts about Meg's life because it makes me cry ( yes really!)
    The mischief in me tells me you were straight back to the shops the next week to come home with a vacuum this time after acquiring your lovely yellow girl x.......lab and a vacuum cleaner are companion items! ;D

14. gad

gad Guest

Well, if it was in the Daily Mail it must be true.

The article was lifted from the US and reported here.
    It leaves more questions unanswered - apart from anecdotal quotes, it cites no official statistics, just as a counter - if 80% of all dogs are black, ergo more black dogs would be rescued.

You have to wonder at the motivation behind publishing this ill informed article? More to do with the 'black' reference, populist journalism? As a serious article on the plight of rescue dogs - I doubt it.

15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My dog is black and much admired, even by non dog lovers.

:)

16. gad

gad Guest

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=4037.msg79759#msg79759 date=1400602207]
    My dog is black and much admired, even by non dog lovers.

:)
    [/quote]

Mine too :)

17. David

David Registered Users

Mine too.

18. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

And mine :)

19. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Mine too in the flesh but it's tricky to get a good photo of him. I'm lucky to have fab photos from Heidrun and another friend who's keen on dog photography my own photos are terrible generally :)

20. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Actually Black labs are so highly sought after that it seems weird to hear that folk are rejecting dogs because they are black.