Blackberry picking

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Karen, Sep 1, 2017.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I think he'll bite some else or their dog or get taken away by the rspca. He lives like a zoo animal never goes out kills anything that comes into the garden.I've had to spend a lot of money having a very strong fence built. He grabbed Doug round the neck twice bit Moo face twice scared Rory as a pup my dogs hate him.he when I do anything in the garden growls contantly and I have in the passed fought it off with a metal pole. Its the only dog I've every really disliked and I am disgusted with his keepers.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That's absolutely terrible. :(

3. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

@SwampDonkey that is so horrendous.

Mabel does a little bit of fruit picking herself but not much, she sat really nicely the other day when I went blackberry picking then looked at me as if to say "do hurry up" :D

selina27 and leejane like this.
  4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Since Brogan didn't grow up someplace where food was just hanging around in nature (vs. hanging around in the refrigerator), I don't think he ever even knew it was possible to pick your own blackberries!

However, his Mama Jodhi was an aficionado of hoovering up dried jelly fish on the beach by the dozen. In San Francisco they wash up on the beach a couple times a year and the dogs go nuts. I guess they taste like really salty potato chips (with a kelp chaser). :D

drjs@5, FayRose and SwampDonkey like this.
  5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley has never tried eating blackberries even though there are loads on numerous of our walks. Even if I pick them for her, she isn't interested u til we get home! She's more interested in playing games with me or her friends, or having a good sniff.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hattie is a huge blackberry picker :) When I go blackberry picking Hattie very gently picks them off the stems, so it's one for Hattie one for the box ….! :D:D xx

7. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Oooh, sounds a dog's dream. Molly would love them on the basis she goes crackers for the dried sprats.

8. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

On our "go to" beach on the Welsh coast there are any amount of big jelly fish on the tideline, for 2 or 3 miles, I don't know if it's a seasonal thing. I think they might be Man O'War , I'm not sure. Cassie did poke a couple but I avoided the worst bits, I think they were still alive, waiting for the tide again and I didn't want her to get stung.

9. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Jodhi loved them and they never bothered her tummy. Maybe Molly will get a beach windfall one day, too. :p

Yeah, we have the big ones as well, but they are big clear blobs about the size of a dinner plate and a 6 inches thick or so. Don't think ours are the stingy kind though. The ones the dogs ate were totally different - also clear but super thin when dried (think a potato chip) and maybe the circumference of a tennis ball. They'd wash up in the thousands. I don't even know if they were really jelly fish, that's just what everyone called them. Whatever they were, apparently they were delicious!

selina27 likes this.
  10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Last time I took my dogs onto the "doggy beach" at Empuriabrava, there were loads of jellyfish. Someone warned me they could be quite dangerous for the dogs, if they got stung inside their mouths. Luckily, they weren't interested, but I know how uncomfortable the sting from these jellies can be; I certainly wouldn't want it in my mouth or throat!

Interesting (not very) fact: the Man o' War isn't actually a jellyfish :D
    Anyway, they're pretty obvious when you see them in the water, because they live on the surface, rather than diving below. Their tentacles also come from one end, compared to a jellyfish, whose tentacles are from the middle, and are normally about 10m long.

I only know this because I read up on them recently; when we were in Portugal, we saw a huge jellyfish in the water; its body was way bigger than a basketball, and the tentacles were about 2m long. We immediately thought Man o' War, but, on reading, knew it couldn't be, because it was below the surface. Ick.

selina27 likes this.
  11. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I shall observe them more closely next time I see them, there's hundreds there. Like I say I don't know if they are waiting to re float.

A far cry from blackberries anyway!

snowbunny and Karen like this.