Bob's got a reddy coloured head!

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Loopyloo30, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

In certain lights there is a distinctive red/ginger tinge to the top of Bob's head... he's a pure black - black eyes etc and came from a black mum and dad. It's definitely there, we are not imagining it... some people have mentioned it before we've said anything. Is this common? I shall try and get a picture to show you..

Lou x

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Bob's got a reddy coloured head!

Possibly just the sun having faded his fur a bit :) Black dogs can sometimes have a bit of a rusty hue in the right light.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

This is really common in Chocolates - Charlie has a band across the top of his head that is lighter and has a touch of red/ginger. I see it in lots of Chocolates - Pippa's Rachael has it too.

I've never noticed it in black labs though, I'll look out for it now!

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam is jet black , black parentage etc. but in some lights and especially when he is moulting, I can see a faint brownish tint in the fur on his head .

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Scout has a definite brown tinge especially in his summer coat and around his muzzle. Scott not so much. My old lab had quite a bit aswell. Jet black as pups. S&S have a yellow mum and my old lab had a yellow grandmother maybe that has something to do with it. :eek:

6. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

I was joking with my OH the other week that we'd been sold a duffer and there was a ginger one underneath LOL! And that we should take him back for a refund tee hee! I should have taken a pic today it was quite obvious in the sunshine. I will try and remember again this weekend :)

Love Bob wouldn't change him for the world :)

Lou x