Bones and the Bully

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lt.Kippo, Dec 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lt.Kippo

Lt.Kippo Registered Users

Besides the godsend that is the frozen Kong, what kind of long term 'chew' treats you guys and gals recommend? Bully Sticks, Pig Ears, Raw Hide, or even certain Raw Bones (Vet says NO due to salmonella, I'm not so sure, I eat MY meat practically raw as it stands and I'm still posting;)) He's getting to six months so everything has to go into his mouth now.

Thanks all

2. Georgieboy

Georgieboy Registered Users

George loves Benebones, bully sticks and antlers. We tried the Himalayan chews and he wasn’t as interested in those.

Lt.Kippo likes this.
  3. Lt.Kippo

Thanks for the reply, That Himalayan cheese? That's some weird stuff I'll tell you what. I will look into BeneBones! :) Antlers... It's a personal choice but many members here have horror stories of teeth breaking with those, my Sora already did that with his baby teeth. He chewed on a steel bar. Freaking steel? How this species survives I'll never know! :rolleyes:

Jes72 likes this.
  4. MF

MF Registered Users

Yes to raw bones. Make sure they are human-grade/for human consumption, assures that they are free of infection etc. My dog eats raw meaty bones and raw meat as his meals. Just make sure they’re not too hard - weight-bearing big bones, like cow legs. Rather feed non-weight-bearing that are easier to chew, like venison neck bones. Supervise at first to assess what kind of chewer your dog is. My boy has eaten bones all his life and is not a power chewer so he won’t try to chomp through a very hard marrow bone - but if you feed very hard bones, be careful to avoid chance of fractured molar.

I’d be interested to know if your vet has seen any cases of salmonella infection?

Lt.Kippo likes this.
  5. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Definitely Kongs. Never antlers or other hard treats because of the risk to her teeth (and our bank balance - dog dentistry is expensive).

For a few minutes peace we love the Kong Quests. Jam a few bits of treat of biscuit into them and it will keep H interested for 15-30 minutes while she licks them out. It's easier on her teeth than chewing treats.

6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Neck bones, ribs or ox tail.
    It's so hard to find something suitable that lasts more than 30 seconds!
    Between antlers, a extra large nylabone and tennis balls his canine teeth started to wear down. At the time we gave him anything to keep him calm while we could relax in the late evening until I realised what was happening to his teeth. Raw hides got swallowed whole and he completely destroyed Kongs and other Kong chew toys (and my suade boot) in no time at all. To be honest I'd probably use antlers again but under supervision and for short periods of time, for just a moments peace.

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Anya likes this.
  8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have anco roots - the pups like them when teething, but Tatze isn’t interested.

9. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Chew roots (from Amazon), also the coffeewood that Naya mentioned but although safe and long lasting my dog has to be in the right mood, interest wains after a bit (cover in meat paste or peanut butter to tempt them). Nylabones probably won't last you by the sounds of your dog, same as Maisy who chews bits off them and isn't that interested to start with. Bully sticks too but Maisy refuses some of them for some reason, don't know why. Oxtails are good for a few minutes, not very long lasting. I am working my way through the selection in zooplus, next up is turkey necks.

We are all probably looking for that miracle chew that lasts between sleeps.

10. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

There are fake antlers made by Nylabone that work well for us. Ours love rawhides, and bully sticks (but they are expensive for how long they last) None of my dogs (4) have ever had a problem wearing out their teeth on tennis balls and nylabones, as well as real sterile bones. They love love soft toys also, but most they destroy quickly. Fortunately they tear them up but don't eat them. They have never needed to have their teeth cleaned (per our vet) and never lost a tooth.

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The holy grail, to be sure!

SwampDonkey likes this.
  12. Lt.Kippo

He claims he has. I'm not so sure. I also know a dogs stomach acid is stronger than are own.

13. Anya

Anya Registered Users