bones

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by lizon, Jul 17, 2017.

1. lizon

lizon Registered Users

What would you all suggest on bones for a 7 month old lab? boiled or raw?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Cooked bones should never be fed to a dog; they can splinter and cause real danger.

As for raw bones, you want to avoid any weight-bearing (leg) bones from larger animals (sheep, pigs, cows etc) as these are too hard and can splinter, or at least wear, the dog's teeth, which is very painful for the dog, often requiring surgery, and is very expensive for you.

My dogs have just had raw chicken carcasses and backs for their lunch. Sometimes they'll have thighs. Sometimes a big chunk of rabbit, turkey, a whole mackerel etc.

3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

As said above, absolutely NOT boiled. Not cooked in any way. I do give large bones for recreational chewing and good jaw and teeth health. I supervise and take away if the dog is doing anything more than gnawing on the ends. I might only give one about once a month. I gave Jet a good sized branch of a hard cherry we had to cut down and she happily worked away at that for over a year. She had amazingly good teeth.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We only give raw bones, chick drumsticks, carcasses, wings only totally consumable bones, we also sardines etc. I wouldn't give marrow bones or any weight bearing bones ever as it's not worth the risk to their teeth as Fiona has said. x :)