Books for kids on behaviour around dogs

Discussion in 'Books' started by Oberon, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So, after spending Christmas Day with my niece... Can anyone recommend a good book for small children that teaches safe behaviour around dogs?

We’re talking a nearly 3-yr old (ie, can’t read but likes to be read to) with parents who are sensible but not dog savvy. The 3 yr old wants to hug the dog (Obi), hold his tail, stare into his face, jump around his head while he’s lying on the floor, touch and count his toes, sit on him and also, worst, blow air into his face. Hubby and I can and did police this yesterday but it wasn’t easy over a 10 hour period and with a Ferrero-Rocher-induced sugar high thrown in. We can give Obi ‘rest breaks’ in a bedroom but he doesn’t like that. Would much prefer to change the human behaviour here, including for her own safety around other, less tolerant dogs.

Suggestions of books appreciated :) Something that’d educate the parents along with the kiddie would also be great..

2. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I don't know of any books, but that would be a great idea. At school our speach and language therapists make social stories for children who are struggling to pick up social cues. They basically use the child of concern as the main characters to set out the situation and show the child how to solve it.

Simple repetitive script works well. Child loves Obi, child wants to hug Obi, but obi doesn't like hugs they make him feel scad, child wants to look at Obi but this makes obi feel scared, and so on. Use photos or simple drawings of Obi and the child to illustrate each page.

3. Oberon

I hadn’t thought of making my own book. What a great suggestion!

4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

You could try
    https://g.co/kgs/MV1hVH

Also available on Amazon.

Frequently recommended by trainers I know and have used it with little ones in the family.

5. Oberon

Thanks for that, Jojo. I will check that one out!

6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

It might be worth looking at Dog Decoder on Facebook as well. She has an app available which is good, although there is a charge for it and there is also some really good posters available by Dr Sophia Yin (free downloads :) )

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would show them http://www.stopthe77.com, too. There's age-appropriate videos with songs to learn which make me cringe but I'm sure would be engaging for children :)

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

When Harley used to come to work with me, I made up some laminated cards with pictures on that even the younger children could understand. They worked brilliantly and were used time and time again.

9. Oberon

Great suggestions - Thankyou :) :)

I’ve sent my brother some Sophia Yin info. We’re seeing them for lunch today so I’ll have a chat. We’re leaving Obi at my parent’s place. My niece will be disappointed about that but Obi won’t be!

Naya likes this.
  10. donovan

donovan Registered Users

Thanks for the link!