Boulab

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Anne123, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Hi,

Just learned today by looking on the www about boulab dogs. It is a cross between a Labrador and a Berner Senner. I had never heard of this cross breed. Did you?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'd never heard of "berner senner", so I googled and got "berner sennenhund", which we'd call a Bernese mountain dog.
    I don't suppose it's surprising people gave crossed it with a lab. The article I found called it a "labernese". There are some fairly strange looking examples.

Anne123 likes this.
  3. 20180815

20180815 Guest

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

My first thought was this was a joke about a scary Lab, or one who had been frightened. That would be spelled Boo though, I suppose. Then I though Bouvier cross. I didn't know what a Berner Senner was either. Why would that not be BerLab? LOL, a cold dog or one covered in burrs.? Well it could be if you only heard it.

Bernese Mountain Dogs are one of my favourite breeds, they are beautiful and much like Labs in disposition. Some one near me regularly crosses Berners with other breeds and the pups are often in one pet store. Mostly they are Border Collie crosses. A client had a BErner x Poodle and guess what it looked like? A Bouvier.

ETA: MIRA in Quebec does use Berner crosses as therapy dogs when there is a need for a large, strong, calm dog. IMO this is a valid reason for the cross.

http://www.mira.ca/en/our-dogs/8/breeding_35.html

Anne123 likes this.
  5. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Bernese Mountain dog x poodle (bernedoodle) are pretty popular here and we had one in Quinn's training class (all "doodles" are popular here actually)...I recently saw an ad for Lab X Bernese and they were CUTE.

@SilverFalcon Jack is a beauty! Wish I could take him!

6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

You are right about the Bernese mountain dog. It is a cross breed between a lab and a Bernese mountain dog.
    Website in Dutch http://ruwerveldzicht.nl/boulab-labradoodle and another one: http://www.hondenpension-putten.nl/page/boulab-pups

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Interesting! When I was researching Swissies this summer I ran across someone who had a dog from a breeder who crosses Swissies with Berners. He was gorgeous and she claimed that they were much healthier (Berners are particularly notorious for succumbing very young to cancer which is why, along with the long hair, that I didn't ever consider them). I got all excited until I started talking to "proper" breeders who said, "Yeah, you could get a healthier dog...you could also get a dog with the worst problems of both breeds. That breeder is a scammer." That logic kind of stopped me going down that road any further. But Swissies are still one of my favourite breeds of all time and I think Berners are gorgeous as well.

Screenshot 2017-01-19 16.48.30.png

drjs@5 and Anne123 like this.
  8. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I'm more distracted by those magnificent looking cows in the background, they're beautiful!

A Berner won BIS at the National Dog Show a couple of years ago (2015 I think, I'd actually caught part of the Bernese judging so I was stoked to have witnessed "greatness" in the fur). They're still incredibly rare, though, and apparently breeders are having a real struggle getting bitches pregnant here. There's a beautiful Berner boy at my obedience club, though. Boris, lol. If we had a bigger house (and wooden floors) I would honestly have gone down the Newfie/Berner/Dane route, they're just such lovely dogs.

9. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Bernese are very popular here. Actually I think too popular, since I don't really see the attraction.