breeding programme yes or no

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Brian bobo, Aug 8, 2017.

1. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well you asked the question - yes or no. From me it is a resounding no. In fact I think it is highly unethical. The two top priorities when breeding from a dog should be health and temperament. The people who are going to breed from this bitch, and all the others they are farming out, don't even know her so how can they make that decision? If I were to buy a puppy I wouldn't touch such a set up with a barge pole.

Karen and SwampDonkey like this.
  2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Interesting article. While I'm definitely in the Lab camp, my neighbor across the street has a 1-1/2 yr old Labradoodle that they re-homed and she seems to be a great dog. She is even taller than Cooper, and acts like a Lab. The two of them are best buds.

3. Brian bobo

Brian bobo Registered Users

ok. wee update. i decided against the breeding programme. just for my own reasons. i have bought a goldenadoodle. get him in 3 weeks. 3rd generation so hopefully decent for allergies.

Karen, MF, edzbird and 2 others like this.
  4. Brian bobo

hes an f1b.
    few people said irish water spaniel. where on earth do you find them. i couldnt find one anywhere.
    happy with my choice. thanks everyone

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

F1b means that one parent was a cross between a Goldie and a Poodle (i.e. an F1 cross) and the other parent was a pure bred Goldie or a purebred Poodle. So, definitely not third generation. Basically it is a dog that is 1/4 Goldie and 3/4 Poodle (or else 1/4 Poodle and 3/4 Goldie). Probably the former (ie one parent a pure Poodle) to try to ensure a 'non-shedding' coat.

6. Brian bobo

[​IMG] [​IMG]yes your correct. mum goldendoodle dad pure bred poodle. was my wife that said 3rd generation. not sure where she got that. not even sure what it means lol

7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

@Brian bobo please stick around and give us some pictures of your new pup - I bet he's a real cutie.

Pilatelover and Edp like this.
  8. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

@Brian bobo I can only second @edzbird's request. I am very interested in emotional support animals and knowing more about animals that can have other benefits like being less likely to trigger allergies is very interesting. Please will you keep posting and providing your experience? And photos of puppies and dogs make my heart very happy:)

Emily_BabbelHund and selina27 like this.
  9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sure you'll both enjoy your new puppy and, yes, we would definitely love to see photos :)

10. Edp

Edp Registered Users

11. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I had a standard poodle when I was a teenager she was so clever. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you win the lottery and then I'll look forward to the photos. :)

snowbunny and selina27 like this.
  12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

14. Brian bobo

how do i upload a photo. im not on facebook or anything. just photos from phone

15. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

16. MF

MF Registered Users

There are many where I live - extremely popular. Look like Disney characters. A breeder is now breeding Goldies with medium poodles, not the standard poodle, to get a smaller dog, easier to handle - the std poodle crosses grew to be enormous, too big as family dogs apparently: huge energy in big dogs wasn't good for small kids.

17. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

There is a golden doodle working in the beating line on our shoot. She is not very big so I presume a medium poodle rather than a standard poodle was used. She is very intelligent and very biddable with a huge hunting drive. Her only drawback as far as I can see is her coat which needs massive maintenance, even more so than my spaniels' coats, or it can get matted very quickly.

18. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

My cousin has a year-old golden doodle and she seems like a great dog. My father is totally in love with her and lobbying hard that a golden doodle is the breed for me. I told him no way as I'm not into the grooming thing - it's his own fault as grooming our poodle was my responsibility as a child/teen and ruined me for life. :rolleyes:

I'll be very interested in hearing more from you @Brian bobo as you get your new pup...and second the motion for photos. :)

19. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Here is gorgeous Angus when he was a puppy, a doodle and now a working Guide Dog. His Dad is Pringle, a glorious white standard poodle, who has had many pups.

He's loopy when playing and steady and sensible when working.

:)

IMG_4172.JPG

Pringle -

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Angus is just gorgeous, Hattie would definitely fancy you :heart: x

I for one am very happy to see a lot of positive jobs for Doodles, assistance dogs, guide dogs, on shoots and of course Pets as Therapy. Perhaps one day the mickey taking will disappear :) xx

kateincornwall and selina27 like this.