Bringing puppy home to meet his new brother

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Allena, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Allena

Allena Registered Users

Hi, I am finally bringing my new 8 week old male lab puppy home in a few weeks, 9 days to be exact, and wanted to get your input on best ways to introduce him to my current 4 year old lab, Cooper. Cooper has been my only dog child for 2 years since the passing of beagle brother. He gets along great with other dogs and loves to play. He is always by my side and may have trouble understanding that the pup is here to stay and not just visiting! I have read many articles and wanted your advice on this subject. Thanks for your input! :)

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Bringing puppy home to meet his new brother

Hi and welcome! It shouldn't really be too much of a problem, older dogs are usually very tolerant of puppies. Just make sure you have one-to-one time with Cooper, and give him an area where he can escape from the puppy, if he needs to. :)

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Agree with Karen , Labs are very tollerant dogs . When we brought our rescue terrier home , two year old Lab Sam was overjoyed at first , this turned into a sulk when he realised that Millie wasnt just here for a visit ::) However , he adapted within a week maximum and had extra cuddles plus a walk every so often which doesnt include the terrorist , bliss ;D

4. Shell

Shell Registered Users

I agree with the others too, I had brought Jack (who's now 9) home to meet a then 4 year old Teal (both labs) and they got on great from day one. Sadly Teal passed last year so I have now got Willow (19 week female lab) who met Jack 4 weeks ago and apart from the bounciness and biting of ears for the first week or two they get on famously. Though I'd say she loves him that wee tad more than he loves her lol. I am definitely planning on another when she reaches around 3-4 years as they are still so lively at that age to take on a new pup. Good luck with the introductions.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I can't help at all but just wanted to say hi,Dexter is a 13 month old yellow boy and our first dog and one is quite enough for us!
    Hope all goes well ,let us know and send us a pic of your puppy
    Best wishes
    Angela

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Allena, Lilly is our first dog so not encountered this problem.
    I must admit I'm not brave enough to rock the apple cart with a second dog (despite my daughter's arguments to the contrary ::) )
    Wishing you luck!

Jac

7. Allena

Allena Registered Users

Thanks for the vote of confidence folks. I really think it will be okay, but needed to hear it from others. I will keep you posted when the day finally arrives (not soon enough for me)!!