Brown Spots on Yellow (English Cream) Lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Julie Malfitano, May 22, 2022.

1. Julie Malfitano

Julie Malfitano Registered Users

My English Cream Lab has been developing strange brown spots in his head and thighs. The ones on his head formed after he had a scratch or sore on his head. Not sure if he scratched himself or how he hurt himself. He is also developing spots on his back thighs and now there are some forming on his rear. We have taken him to the vet and done blood tests which came back perfectly healthy. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Julie, welcome to the forum :)

It looks like your question has our members stumped! Are the spots just on his skin, or has the fur changed color too? Is the fur growing normally in those areas? I'm obviously not going to dispute your vet if they've given him a clean bill of health, so all I can think of is that since yellow/cream Labs also carry the genes for brown or black fur, but they are masked by the presence of the gene for yellow fur, perhaps somehow the yellow gene has been 'switched off' in his brown patches, which is allowing the instructions for brown pigment to show through instead. I could be miles out with that though!