Bud's Story (an ongoing diary)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by KeeperTony44, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Bud's Story (an ongoing diary)

Hi Bud,

I had an operashun once. It hurt for a bit and my people wouldn't let me swim but it's ok now.

Water is fun. My daddy takes me to a pond sometimes and we play swimmy fetch with a tennis ball. When I give him the ball I shake and he goes NOOOOOOO and we laugh, then he throws it again. You must teach your people to play this game.

People are strange. My people have started putting everything into boxes. They keep saying funny things like MOVINGHOUSE and WHICHBOXISITIN. I worry in case they put me in a box. I wouldn't like that.

Take care,

Your pal, Holly

2. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hello all,

This talk of sofas and beds has just made me realise I have made a BIG MISTAKE this evening.

[​IMG]

Here I am in my bed while mum is busy on her tappy thing. Normally Wispa snuggles down in hers but I rush around with the lovely soft vetbed and do anything but snuggle IN the bed. It's only when mum decides to go to sit somewhere comfy that I go to join her. I'm really worried that she'll now spend even more time on her tappy thing (when I'm not busy catching up with my friends) and I'll be expected to go in this bed. Oh dear!

Those AVERLARNCHES sound very scary, Shadow. I haven't even seen proper snow yet, so I can't imagine what an AVERLARNCHE can be like. You must be careful and stay safe.

I'm now going to curl up in this bed and shut my eyes again, just to prove I can behave like a grown-up lab sometimes!

Nite nite,

Tuppence

3. KeeperTony44

KeeperTony44 Registered Users

Morning Tuppy :) ...........(Dad has said maybe i should ask first before shortening your name!)

Hope you had a good sleep. I have, and then out early for a long walk which was rather damp as the rain came down on our way back. It's always fun to come home and shake all of that rain off our backs isn't it? A shame our parents don't share our pleasure ;D

You still haven't seen any proper snow - that's a shame. I think you'll enjoy it. I don't think you have any risk of an avalanche, especially if you are yet to see a lot of snow.

Right, well i am off to rush around madly in an attempt to get dad to play with me - he doesn't normally take too much persuading. Then it will be time for breakfast, and then a snooze. Not a bad start to a day really.

Keep well my friend.

Bud

4. KeeperTony44

[quote author=Hollysdad link=topic=8427.msg145916#msg145916 date=1424894334]

Water is fun. My daddy takes me to a pond sometimes and we play swimmy fetch with a tennis ball. When I give him the ball I shake and he goes NOOOOOOO and we laugh, then he throws it again. You must teach your people to play this game.

People are strange. My people have started putting everything into boxes. They keep saying funny things like MOVINGHOUSE and WHICHBOXISITIN. I worry in case they put me in a box. I wouldn't like that.

[/quote]

Morning Holly,

You do that 'shake the water everywhere' thing too. Why can't our parents enjoy it like we do? Mine do laugh afterwards but the initial reaction is like one of utter shock. So strange. I think dad has made a note of the tennis ball game ready for when i one day enter deeper water.

And i wouldn't worry about being put in a box Holly. Your people, as you describe them, wouldn't do that. Dad says it looks like you will soon have a new home to explore, and they are packing things in boxes to make it easier to move certain items. That must be really exciting Holly. I hope you like your new home, and that it has lots of places for you to go and sniff and play.

Catch up with you soon friend.

Bud

5. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Hi Bud!!!
    I'm spending my day with mommy toady at the collij and when it was lunch time - she took me out on a nice long walk. It's unlike any walk I've been on before...I saw sooooo many new things.

When I go to werk with daddy....we just walk quickly from his car to his werk, and then when mommy comes to get me she walks me around the block so I can do my business (that means go pee and poop.... ;) I don't really have a business...) and then we get in her car and go home.

Anyway, so mommy took me out, and there are SO MANY PEOPLE....hoomins EVERYWHERE....they are all pretty young and some are soooo happy to see me....and I get to see them and jump on them....and others are not so excited about me. I'm not sure why....I think I'm pretty incredible and everyone should love me....but hoomins are funny sometimes I guess. So I saw lots and lots of people, and I figured out that if I stayed close next to mommy....she would give me a cookie from her pocket if I ignored the people we walked by. It seemed like a good idea to me...so I watched mommy very carefully. I saw men hoomins with bright orange vests and yellow hats that looked like buckets on their heads, and flappy yellow tape with black letters on it, and big GIANT spools of wire that spins round and round...and the wire disappears into a hole. :eek: I also saw hoomins balance precariously on BEYEKS that went past...and a boy on a board with wheels too...he was going SO FAST!!!! Lots of big SITEEBUSSES went by, but they didn't scare me much, but the dust they kicked up made me sneeze and mommy laughed... ??? ??? Oh....and by this one sign that was down at dog level....they had these things tied on with ribbon....and the bounced around in the wind....they were white and red.....and made a strange almost squeaky sound when they rubbed together....I stared and stared and stared at them trying to figure out what they were....I thought about barking....but decided they probably were not going to get away and chase me....so I looked at mommy to see what she thought about them... ??? ??? ??? She told me they are BUHLOONZ.... have you seen BUHLOONZ before, Bud?? They are very strange things.... When we were almost back to mommy's office there were some hoomin boys....and they had a BALL!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) but they didn't touch it with their hands....only their feet...and knees....and they kicked it in the air and to each other and back and forth and it was soooo cool!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) but it wasn't like my balls at home....they let me see it and smell it....and when they kicked it it made funny squishy sounds....I wanted to play with it - but I guess the rules don't let you bite it... ::) They were nice boys and they pet me and laughed and said I was a pretty cute puppy. ::) I tried to tell them I'm almost a grown up dog now...but I don't think the understood....

YYYYAAAAAWWWWWNNNN....I'm so tired now....it was a wonderful walk around collij...but I think I better have a snooze now. Mommy brought my bed from daddy's werk today - so I think I'll go snooze for now.

Your friend,
    Bella

6. KeeperTony44

Hello Bella, and all of my other friends,

Bella.....so many people to go and play with-you must have been beyond excited. I have experienced some people who do not want to say hello to me or play with me. Maybe they don't have the time, or don't want to get their clothes muddy when i offer them my paws. Maybe they just don't like excitable young pups like me. As dad says,"it's their loss." I think this means no matter how many people are not delighted to be around me, there will always be those who do like my company. And i will always have mum and dad who are with me every single day.

Dad gave a little shake when you mentioned balloons Bella. I don't think he likes them very much. But i found one one day in our garden. No idea where it came from but it was fun to play with for a while, until it went BANG. I jumped, and then looked all around but couldn't find it any more.

Well everyone, i have been walking further than ever just lately, and chasing ducks and geese who are very quick at jumping into the water where i don't like to go. Only this morning i experienced my first sights and smells of a lake, and i really was not too keen at jumping in-unlike a lot of you brave friends who love the water. My back leg disappeared over the edge and i was very quick at retrieving it as there was no ground underneath. That was not very pleasant if i am honest, and for now i think i will sit back and listen to you all share your swimming stories.

[​IMG] ,
    [​IMG] ,
    [​IMG] ,

Making the most of my outside play as i have my operation on Friday and i think i will be staying at home for a while until i am allowed to go out for walks again. I don't know why i won't be able to visit the park and woods and canal and lake again, but i am sure on Friday it will all become much clearer.

Off for a well deserved snooze now. Be safe everyone. I am thinking of you all.

Bud.x

7. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hello Bud,

Just wishing you all the best for your operation tomorrow. We're sure you'll have lots of special cuddles, so just make the most of all the extra attention.

That water looks quite scary as it seems you can't just paddle into it before you start swimming. It's just as well you managed not to slip in. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to jump straight in, although I love swimming when we're by the stream or on the beach. Tuppy wouldn't like it at all, even though she can swim too. We haven't been near the stream or the beach for a long time, as our 'off lead' walks have been in the muddy woods. We still find big puddles to splash in and sometimes we even manage to make our human friends more muddy than they would like to be, too. I can't think why they don't want our beautiful paw prints on their clothes, especially as mum has some boots with paw prints on them ...

We're just about to have an after-supper snooze now. All this playing, walking and eating is quite tiring, really.

Take care, Bud,

Wispa (and Tuppy)

8. KeeperTony44

Thank you Wispa. And thanks to Tuppy also. I have been getting more cuddles than usual, which is a huge amount considering i get plenty regularly. My young senses are picking up something that feels a little strange, but i don't know exactly what it is. All i do know is i get to see Mr Simon, my vet man, and that means i get to pounce and cause him to make that funny noise. :)

I think,on my future explorations, there may be areas of water that i can walk out into where it isn't so deep. This does sound like a good way to introduce myself. Still not sure though if i will like swimming but when i get the chance to try it i will let you know my opinion.

You are right, walking, playing, and eating, are such tiring yet enjoyable parts of our lives. And i have done my fair share of them all today. I now have a lovely clean and snuggly warm bed to take my nap in so goodnight my friend. Look after yourself too, and Tuppy. I'll drop by and catch up with you when i can.

Bud

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi Bud,

Wow, you are certainly getting big aren't you? I love swimming......lots and lots. I'm sure once you've tried it once your dad won't be able to keep you out ;)

Good luck for tomorrow. When you come from from the vets you might feel a bit poorly, but you will feel better soon. I'm sure you will get lots of extra cuddles and treats - I did when I had my operation.

Anyway, sleep tight and speak soon

Your pal, Harley x

10. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Just popping in to say good luck, mate! I'm not sure what all this OPERAYSHUN stuff is about but anything that gets you more treats and cuddles has to be OK.

Speak soon!

Yer pal

Pongo

11. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is Holly's person typing. Holly is away on holiday but texted the following message:

"Hi Bud. I really hope your operashun goes well. Sending licks. Holly"

12. sunsetpines

Wow Bud, that's some great pictures....that's interesting water you have there....my creek has so many trees and turns and rocks and sticks in it....there are a few ponds...but nothing like your water. Maybe when it get's warmer, swimming will appeal to us more? It's still pretty cold here in Americuh...at least where I live.

I hope your operashun goes ok....it will be over soon, and then you can get back home to your dad and mummy (giggle)...and get lots of snuggles and extra treats. And hey...try for the sofa again...this is the perfect chance to plead your case with your hoomins... ;) ;)

Hope you let us know how your feeling soon,

Bella

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Hollysdad link=topic=8427.msg147678#msg147678 date=1425586361]
    This is Holly's person typing. Holly is away on holiday but texted the following message:

"Hi Bud. I really hope your operashun goes well. Sending licks. Holly"
    [/quote]

Willow and Shadow are very impressed with Holly's texting skills. They can't get their claws to work on the iPhone.

Hope you have a nice trip to see Mr Simon and you get lots more cuddles and treats!

14. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hello Bud and hello all my friends!

Before I say anything else I want to say that I AM A FRIENDLY DOG AND I ONLY WANT TO BE FRIENDS. Please don't misunderstand anything I say. If I say something that makes you angry I DON'T MEAN TO I JUST WANT TO BE FRIENDS. Please remember I am your friend and I would never say anything rude on purpose and I'm very sorry if I say something rude by mistake.

I think I need to say all of this because recently I've had some very odd encounters with strange dogs when I've been out walking. It has only happened one or two times, but even so it makes me confused.

Mostly I bound up to dogs (with mum encouraging me by shouting 'Pongokumbackeer' which I've learned is her special word for "Go on Pongo, do whatever you like") and we have a good old tail sniff and run around and play. But a couple of times recently, the other dog has suddenly started snarling at me and jumping on me and one actually bit me yesterday! Of course I always do the polite thing of rolling over and showing my tummy and being small-little-dog, but on these occasions that hasn't stopped them. Mum says that it might be because I am getting older, and that I'm starting to give off messages that are 'threttening' because of the way I smell. I don't know what 'threttening' means but she says it is like being angry or rude. Well I certainly don't mean to do that! So I'm a little wary now of being misunderstood, and I really hope that none of my friends on this message board think I'm rude.

It's a funny world as we grow up, isn't it? So many new things to learn every day. But that's what is wonderful about life!

Anyway, I hope none of this has come over as 'threttening' - you would tell me if it did, wouldn't you? Have a lovely day, Bud and everyone. Speak again soon.

Your very good pal

Pongo

15. KeeperTony44

My dear friend Pongo-hello mate,

Only just returning from what has been a very strange, slightly confusing, and crazy few days. I will talk about this more in a moment.

Now what is all this about you being seen as a scary, menacing dog? I think i can safely say that from both myself, my parents, and all of your friends who join us in this safe environment to chat and "play", that you are one of the gentlest, friendliest, FUNNIEST, cleverest and on some occasions, cheekiest dogs anyone can have the privilege to know. I am proud to call you friend, to call you my mate, and don't ever think for one moment Pongo that this will ever change.

Right....i think this message is going to be saved to make sure you get it as soon as possible. And then i will continue chatting at a bit more length to tell you and my other wonderful friends what i thought of my OPERATION :mad:

Keep well

Bud

16. KeeperTony44

Hi again everyone,

I would like to quickly take this opportunity to thank you all for your warmth, and caring words, before my trip to the vets last week. It is really nice to know i have friends far and wide who are there for me. Would you kindly give long licks to your parents also who i believe talked with dad when he shared his thoughts and feelings following my operation. Thank you very much.

As you all know, a few days ago i had what is normally an exciting trip for me-the one where i pounce on Mr Simon my vet man and he makes his funny noise and then rubs my tummy. Well, that all still happened but something very odd took place afterwards. He walked me towards one door and mum and dad walked away from me and out of another door!!! I tried to return to them but before i knew it they had GONE. I didn't know where, and i didn't know why they had left me, and i wondered if maybe my sometimes manic behaviour had made them no longer love me. I cried for a very short while until Mr Simon gently comforted me and took me to meet a nurse, who was lovely and smiley, and i was placed high off the ground on a table of some kind.

I didn't have much time to think really after this because my mind was taken up with things happening to my body. Some of my fur was removed from one of my front legs (what were they doing to me?) And then i felt a slight sharpness and something entering my body, and before long i began to relax. Other things were happening around me but after a while i was asleep. Dreaming of running and running and jumping and leaping and playing and madly chasing my tail around and around and around.

After some time i woke up and Mr Simon was still with me, and the nice nurse. And they carefully picked me up and placed me BEHIND BARS!!!!!! :mad: :mad: I didn't have the energy to stand at this point, let alone plan a breakout, but my eyes surveyed everything around me and i was not impressed at all. I wasn't in one of those nasty, evil crates that have experienced my anger from when i was younger. This was what i believe had been called a WALK-IN KENNEL. I had a comfortable bed and there were other animals around me, and a nurse or two smiling at me now and again. But this did not change the fact that i was encaged. HOW VERY DARE THEY!!! I was not happy at all.

After what seemed like years, i was eventually taken out of the CAGE (that's what it was to me). I nudged the hand of the nurse, and gave Mr Simon a disapproving look as they led me to a door. I was still feeling very tired, and sore underneath my body. It was a very odd sensation. But worse was to come. This big, white contraption was attached around my neck and i could not see very much around me. Only directly in front of me. MORE RESTRICTIONS!!!! What in the world was going on. I couldn't scratch, i couldn't lick or nibble, all the places i like to touch. By now i had decided that this OPERATION was my eternal enemy and i would be making sure it never happens again.

When the door opened i had my first reason to smile-mum was there to save me. But she didn't!! She took the lead and led me outside to where dad was waiting. I was getting so very frustrated as i kept knocking into walls and legs, and nobody was relieving me of this burden. I then met a new lady who was very nice, but she didn't save me either. I was carefully picked up and placed into a CAR (normally i only get to watch them race past me,) and then after a short journey i was back home. Finally things could return to normal. Guess what my friends.....i was wrong!

As i speak with you now i am still confined behind this monstrosity they call a buster collar. I have felt pain beyond anything i have felt before, but this started to ease over the days thanks to lots of cuddles and gentle tummy rubs, and some liquid substance that was added to my breakfast. And with plenty of sleep i have been able to shut out a lot of the discomfort. I miss my long walks out and running madly and jumping about, but apparently i need to recover from the physical effects of my operation. I still feel very strange underneath my body, but mum and dad are treating me with all the love i had been accustomed to that i tend to ignore the strange sensations i feel.

I am hearing talk that over the weekend i can have a couple of very short walks, and if i am very good, and i am healing well, i may get released from this collar for longer than i do at the moment. And by Monday next week i am hearing that i should be given the all clear (whatever that is). I am hoping this means that i will never have to wear this collar again.

I am also hearing talk of some more focus being put into training me for my walks outside - it seems i need to learn some basic manners and respect. I have this new lead called a HALTI, and a TRAINING LEAD attached. Dad looks a little more uncomfortable when he led me around the garden with these but i wasn't helping him much to be fair. I will try to be good. I must say i can't wait to go exploring again.

I can't wait to run and jump and chase and maybe.....maybe, even learn to swim.

I can't wait to be FREE again.

And last of all i cannot wait to see Mr Simon again.!!! :mad: ;D

It has been so lovely to chat with you all again, my wonderful friends. Be safe and have lots of fun. We will all catch up again very soon.

Bud.x

17. sunsetpines

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=8427.msg148711#msg148711 date=1426066262]
    Before I say anything else I want to say that I AM A FRIENDLY DOG AND I ONLY WANT TO BE FRIENDS. Please don't misunderstand anything I say. If I say something that makes you angry I DON'T MEAN TO I JUST WANT TO BE FRIENDS. Please remember I am your friend and I would never say anything rude on purpose and I'm very sorry if I say something rude by mistake.

Pongo
    [/quote]

Hi Pongo! I can't imagine why another dog wouldn't want to be your friend...I want to be your friend and meet you someday so I can zoom down your hill in your garden...but my mommy says that probably wont happen except here on this line...since Americuh is so far away from the YewKay. Mommy just laughed at me and said if I would just learn to swim already I could try and swim to the YewKay for a visit. ??? Why is she laughing do you suppose?

Anyway...I can't imagine what was wrong with those other dogs...you're so very nice and handsome in your pictures :-[ I know I would like to spend some time being your friend :*

Bella

18. sunsetpines

OHMIGOSHBUD....It sounds like you've had quite a week....

I'm sorry you have to wear the collar and can't get to your favorite licky spots....how frustrating. After my operation recently I only had to wear the collar for a couple hours....While I was snuggled on the couch with mommy, she washed off my tummy so it didn't smell funny any more and didn't itch from them cutting my hairs anymore....and then she took the collar off for good. I sniffed at the pokey stitches a couple of times, but mommy told me "Belly-LEAVE IT-or the collar goes back on" :mad: No way did I want that...so I decided that if she didn't want me to touch the operation site...then I would listen to her. Mommy is usually right I've decided.

How come you don't get to ride in cars usually Bud? Almost every day I get to ride in Daddy's car and go to werk with him...and after a long day with him, Mommy comes to daddy's werk and I get to ride home in Mommy's car. This happens just about every day. Is there a shortage of cars in the YewKay? Or maybe you don't have roads for the cars to fit on? Are the trees too close? Or too much water? How do you get anywhere if you don't take a car? My mommy and daddy have so many different cars...and even trucks...they are EVERYWHERE!!! Mommy has an ESSYEWVEE, and daddy has a BUYEWICK, and then we have a couple trucks too...even a really Big white one. I guess it's because we live on the farm with animals that we need so many different cars and trucks....You don't live on a farm do you Bud?

Well, I hope you get to go on more walks soon, Bud....remember to just listen to your daddy and don't lick...and maybe you won't have to wear that collar anymore.

Your friend, Bella

19. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Pongo my friend, there are some dogs who aren't very nice out there. I got bit once and it was horrible :( I will always be your friend as you are funny, messy, good to race, polite and most of all, you are a good friend to me.
    Keep running around like a loon :) big hugs and licks, your friend, Harley :p

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi Bud, it is so good to hear from you :)
    I'm glad you are getting better after your operation. I hope you enjoy your walks this weekend - try and be good for your dad when you are on the halting, he is only trying to help keep you safe
    Big licks, your pal Harley x