Bud's Story (an ongoing diary)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by KeeperTony44, Oct 23, 2014.

1. KeeperTony44

KeeperTony44 Registered Users

Re: Bud's Story (an ongoing diary)

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=8427.msg119459#msg119459 date=1414156910]
    Oh boy. Bud, you've cracked it. Here's me, nearly eleven months old, and I've NEVER gone up those 'stair' things. To begin with there was a gate in the way; then once I sneaked half-way up when the gate was open and mum was SO ANGRY and shouted at me and called me a..... I can hardly bring myself to say it..... a 'Bad Dog'. I've never forgotten that, it was horrible... I know that I am frequently a Naughty Boy ;) , but that is the only time that I've ever been a.... Bad Dog.... :( .

So now even though the gate isn't there any more I never, ever, ever, ever, ever think about going up the stairs. I just lie at the foot and gaze up at them.

I wonder if there is a new world of softness up there, like there was for you? I wonder if I should be brave and venture up there some day when they are not at home? Bud, you have given me a lot to think about.

Pongo

Hiya Pongo.

Just got home from my morning rounds of family and a friend of mummy's and daddy's. Was out a lot longer than i had expected, and i have to admit i am ready to take a few of my naps all at once.

It would appear that you and i are quite often naughty as i too get called this quite often, though i must be learning to conduct myself in a more responsible manner because "Good Boy" is starting to take precedence a lot more (daddy taught me that word.....mummy taught me two others "Smart A**e" which apparently is a slightly naughty word, and the two together means daddy is becoming too clever for his own good!!! :)

I have to say my friend that you are missing out on some wonderful aromas and textures by remaining at the foot of the stairs. I don't go up there too often because it is still a bit of a scramble climbing up to the top (actually worse coming down as it seems so high up.) Last night was the first time i had entered what is obviously a very sacred place, and i have to say Pongo you are losing out on some quality softness and comfort. Now, i don't want to step on your mummy's toes and plant naughty thoughts in your head, but if you are already getting ideas about going on a little adventure when noone is around then i would say go for it. But be smart. Do not leave any signs that you have been where you should not be. Basically look but don't touch - with exception i suppose to having a short nap if you find something really cosy. Just make sure you leave that place tidy and try not to look guilty.

I think there is a way of being allowed to share what our parents enjoy, and yet at the same time respect their wishes and rules. After all, they feed us, provide us with a warm home, play with us and enrich our lives with devotion and love. We do need to appreciate their words. But if something is not quite equal then surely it is our job to take matters into our own paws.

Anyway....guess where i am going now? You got it....mummy is about to pick me up and take me back to that special area for my afternoon nap. Daddy looks really tired also and i could just fall asleep on his lap but i'm afraid this other option is too good to resist.

Be good my friend. Be strong. Will talk again soon.

Bud
    [/quote]

2. KeeperTony44

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8427.msg119462#msg119462 date=1414158244]
    Pongo - OMG, you have NO IDEA!

So, yesterday evening my mum decided I was big enough and "reliable enough", whatever that means, to have more access to the apartment than the living room where I had been living up until now. So, she removed the barrier so now I have free run into the dining room, kitchen and the big hallway. There appear to be three rooms still off limits ... the small room where the humans go to get wet and make funny smells (Mummy said something about some special paper and me being an "Andrex puppy" that I didn't really understand). Then there's the room where the two little furry strange-smelling things ("ferrets", I think) spend most of their time sleeping. I really wish I could get in there. They have SO MANY toys and sleep all the time instead of running round chewing playing with them! The last room I'm not allowed in is the place mum and dad go at night time. I have no idea what they get up to in there that takes them all night long! Anyway, this morning my mummy forgot that I wasn't confined to the living room and, when she went to change out of her night time clothes into her daytime clothes (weird habit, if you ask me!), I slipped in behind her.

There is a big contraption in the middle of the room, a few inches from the floor. Pongo, believe me, you haven't lived until you've seen this thing. I was so overcome, I just had to bounce straight onto it. I couldn't believe how soft it was. I was in heaven. I bounced, I rolled, I slithered all over it. I jumped off in excitement and then straight back on to do it again. Mummy knew I wasn't supposed to be in there and tried to catch me, but I was having so much fun, I just kept bouncing away. And she was laughing so hard, too, that she was even slower than normal - why are humans so slow, huh? Eventually she caught me and threw me onto my back, so I let her rub my belly for a few minutes because I know how much she likes it. Then she carried me out of the room and back to my bed, which suddenly didn't seem so cosy anymore.

I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for the next opportunity to get in there. I wonder if they'd let me sleep on it one day too, Bud? I have to admit I'm a bit envious you got to do that!
    [/quote]

Good afternoon Willow,

I just wanted to drop you a very short thank you for your recent message. I will have more of a chat with you after my nap and my tea. I am just so very tired, and a really warm place is awaiting my weary head. I won't forget you so don't worry. Be back later.

Bud

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

You lot are so funny,what a great thread.....love that there is a 'Ban the Bed ' rebellion x

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Well, Bud and Willow.... Looks like I'm really going to have to think about doing some exploring. Next time they go 'shopping' and tell me to 'look after the house' I think I might have a look up that staircase...

Please don't let your humans see this, will you? I'm scared they might mention it to my mum or dad...

Pongo

5. KeeperTony44

[quote author=KeeperTony44 link=topic=8427.msg119477#msg119477 date=1414162989]
    [quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8427.msg119462#msg119462 date=1414158244]
    Pongo - OMG, you have NO IDEA!

So, yesterday evening my mum decided I was big enough and "reliable enough", whatever that means, to have more access to the apartment than the living room where I had been living up until now. So, she removed the barrier so now I have free run into the dining room, kitchen and the big hallway. There appear to be three rooms still off limits ... the small room where the humans go to get wet and make funny smells (Mummy said something about some special paper and me being an "Andrex puppy" that I didn't really understand). Then there's the room where the two little furry strange-smelling things ("ferrets", I think) spend most of their time sleeping. I really wish I could get in there. They have SO MANY toys and sleep all the time instead of running round chewing playing with them! The last room I'm not allowed in is the place mum and dad go at night time. I have no idea what they get up to in there that takes them all night long! Anyway, this morning my mummy forgot that I wasn't confined to the living room and, when she went to change out of her night time clothes into her daytime clothes (weird habit, if you ask me!), I slipped in behind her.

There is a big contraption in the middle of the room, a few inches from the floor. Pongo, believe me, you haven't lived until you've seen this thing. I was so overcome, I just had to bounce straight onto it. I couldn't believe how soft it was. I was in heaven. I bounced, I rolled, I slithered all over it. I jumped off in excitement and then straight back on to do it again. Mummy knew I wasn't supposed to be in there and tried to catch me, but I was having so much fun, I just kept bouncing away. And she was laughing so hard, too, that she was even slower than normal - why are humans so slow, huh? Eventually she caught me and threw me onto my back, so I let her rub my belly for a few minutes because I know how much she likes it. Then she carried me out of the room and back to my bed, which suddenly didn't seem so cosy anymore.

I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for the next opportunity to get in there. I wonder if they'd let me sleep on it one day too, Bud? I have to admit I'm a bit envious you got to do that!
    [/quote]

Good afternoon Willow,

I just wanted to drop you a very short thank you for your recent message. I will have more of a chat with you after my nap and my tea. I am just so very tired, and a really warm place is awaiting my weary head. I won't forget you so don't worry. Be back later.

Bud

I'm back :) Have had a lovely little snooze in the master bedroom. Got to say it is much more roomy than my bed, but this does not mean my bed is uncomfortable. There is just so much more bedding in mummy's and daddy's bed. It just seems endless. If i hadn't been so tired i would have tunnelled underneath and played hide and seek, or even 'nip toes and run.' Daddy came up and joined us for a few minutes and then he took me downstairs where my tea was waiting....and yippee. He is continuing to add that splendid fishy accompaniment they call a sardine. Yummy, and going in my tummy.

So you have found the wet room too. And to think our parents complain about our smells!!! I have sat in ours for a few minutes on a couple of occasions but i haven't yet discovered this paper you mention. And i LIKE paper. Will need to keep my eyes peeled for this so that i can sneak some for myself.

It is wonderful to hear you discovered the human bed....but i did not know it was bouncy!! Are you saying i can jump up and down and have fun in this place? I thought it was for sleeping only. Methinks i need to investigate further and introduce mummy and daddy to the thrills and games that their sleeping device has to offer!

Keep persevering Willow my friend. Look out for those opportunities, and remember that your mummy has let her guard down a little and revealed she secretly enjoys sharing this room with you. I am sure that when you are a little bit older, and are able to resist those urges that cause our parents to say we have been naughty, you too will have your first sleep in the middle of that room.

I promised i would not forget you my young friend. Always true to my little word.

I will say goodnight to you now as i want to get daddy to chase me out into the garden. It is strange how i cannot see everything as clearly now, and it happens every day. But it also means i can hide from daddy, and sometimes he doesn't see me until i run in front of him and he falls on the ground where i then jump on him. So nice of him to let me use him as another toy.

Nite Willow. Catch up with you whenever you have time to talk.

Bud
    [/quote]

6. Granca

Granca Registered Users

That was a good idea to mention the stairs, Bud, because when you're a bit bigger you can have so much fun. I've trained my human to hide my treat ball on the landing while I wait ('stay' - but I can't quite manage for the last few seconds). It's such fun letting it bounce all the way down the stairs, as it squeaks as it hits each step as well as thudding.

I'm a bit peeved at the moment, though, because my young friend Tuppence has just spent the day with the vet (I know, because she smelt of vet when she came home) so a gate has appeared to block our way to the stairs. I'm not sure why, but I've heard things like "not having puppies" and "have to keep her quiet". If they think they'll be able to keep her quiet, welll ...!

The good thing is that at last my human has bought some more kongs and, at last, has tried putting lovely things inside and then putting them in some big white thing in the kitchen instead of just smearing them with peanut butter. It's torture watching her get them ready because we can't have them straight away. When she opens the big white thing, though, they come out really cold and yummy. Has your human tried that yet? I can highly recommend it. I don't mind going in my crate at all with one of those.

I hope you've had a lovely day. It's time for my evening nap now.

Wispa

7. KeeperTony44

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=8427.msg119503#msg119503 date=1414170083]
    Well, Bud and Willow.... Looks like I'm really going to have to think about doing some exploring. Next time they go 'shopping' and tell me to 'look after the house' I think I might have a look up that staircase...

Please don't let your humans see this, will you? I'm scared they might mention it to my mum or dad...

Pongo
    [/quote]

Pongo my wise older friend. Thank you for your little tip earlier regarding Fishcuits. I heard daddy talking about them and i think he is going to get me some. If they are anywhere near as tasty as the fish taste i am already enjoying then boy am i going to look forward to chomping on them.

Really proud of you for taking that brave step of considering exploring the rest of the house above the staircase. Remember to respect your property, and do as your parents ask when they say "look after the house." But above all, have fun. And don't worry, no human eyes will read what is written here, and those eyes who do see these words belong to people i trust. At the end of the day, our mummy's and daddy's want us to feel loved and to feel like the house is our home, as a family. Eventually i sense that many barriers will be dropped and providing we behave correctly we will have total freedom. (Just looked towards daddy but his face didn't give anything away as to what is on his mind.)

Nite nite Pongo. Sweet dreams of puppy adventures.

Bud

8. KeeperTony44

[quote author=Granca link=topic=8427.msg119523#msg119523 date=1414175619]
    That was a good idea to mention the stairs, Bud, because when you're a bit bigger you can have so much fun. I've trained my human to hide my treat ball on the landing while I wait ('stay' - but I can't quite manage for the last few seconds). It's such fun letting it bounce all the way down the stairs, as it squeaks as it hits each step as well as thudding.

I'm a bit peeved at the moment, though, because my young friend Tuppence has just spent the day with the vet (I know, because she smelt of vet when she came home) so a gate has appeared to block our way to the stairs. I'm not sure why, but I've heard things like "not having puppies" and "have to keep her quiet". If they think they'll be able to keep her quiet, welll ...!

The good thing is that at last my human has bought some more kongs and, at last, has tried putting lovely things inside and then putting them in some big white thing in the kitchen instead of just smearing them with peanut butter. It's torture watching her get them ready because we can't have them straight away. When she opens the big white thing, though, they come out really cold and yummy. Has your human tried that yet? I can highly recommend it. I don't mind going in my crate at all with one of those.

I hope you've had a lovely day. It's time for my evening nap now.

Wispa
    [/quote]

Evening to you Wispa. And welcome to my growing little playgroup.

I am guessing you are older than little old me, and have conquered the stairs comfortably. I can't wait till i do so with steadier legs. That then opens up another play area.

I hope Tuppence is ok after her trip to the vet. I have come across a gate this evening also, but it is blocking the access to my own room which i haven't spent much time in at the moment. I think it is meant for training purposes because i have heard my parents discussing building up my confidence...i think they mean teaching me to feel safe when left alone. I don't like being alone because i love company. But i will try to be strong and when this training occurs do my best to learn and grow stronger.

You must explain what these kong things are you mention? They sound like they are food related, and i like FOOD.

Goodnight to you Wispa. I look forward to many more chats with you over time.

Bud

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh Bud, haven't you had a Kong yet? Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Oh boy. Oh boy. Any time my people want me to be quiet for half an hour or so (while they 'work'), or if they need to go out and leave me to look after the house, I usually get a Kong. It is a rubber chewy thing that my dad has filled with all sorts of different FOOD - always different, so it's always exciting. And then they put it in the big white boxy thing and it comes out really really COLD and hard. And then I get to chew at it and lick it and paw it and chase it and try to figure out how to get the FOOD out of it and it was especially good when my new teeth were growing in because it was so COLD it felt lovely on my sore gums and I lick it and get my tongue into it and shake it and bits come out and then bits are stuck in it and I need to work really hard and I need to THINK really hard and that is quite tiring and then I sleep and it is lovely.

I quite like Kongs.

Pongo

Pongo
    xxx

10. KeeperTony44

WOW!!!

Well, i have whimpered and barked and licked and pawed at mummy and daddy to get their attention. I licked my lips in a puppy fashion and i knocked my chewy ball in their direction.

I think i am now going to be getting a Kong in the very near future.

Thanks Pongo.......(and Wispa for first bringing it to my attention.)

Bud ;D ;Dx

11. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

By the way, Bud, get your daddy to.... I think it is called 'google'.... for something called "Kongstuffing.com". I don't really know what it is, but my Kongs got extra exciting after mummy found it...

Night night
    P
    xxx

12. Debs

Debs Registered Users

[quote author=KeeperTony44 link=topic=8427.msg119528#msg119528 date=1414178189]

I think i am now going to be getting a Kong in the very near future.
    [/quote]

Pssst, Bud....tuna kongs....absolute heaven! Sometimes I get tuna and cheese, oh my days, bliss! Be uper cute tomorrow, you may get one! ;)

Maisie ;D

13. KeeperTony44

So excited. Can't wait for my kong and super new flavours to try. Thanks Pongo. Thank you Maisie.

Nite nite to you both.

Bud.xx

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Nom nom nom.... can't .... nom.... talk .... got a frozen kong ... sardine and .... pumpkin puree ..... NOM.

15. Debs

Debs Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8427.msg119535#msg119535 date=1414180723]
    Nom nom nom.... can't .... nom.... talk .... got a frozen kong ... sardine and .... pumpkin puree ..... NOM.
    [/quote]
    JEALOUS! :p

16. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8427.msg119535#msg119535 date=1414180723]
    [/quote]

DROOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL..........

Pongo
    xxx

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Very jealous :p my mum has me on a diet so I'm not getting what she calls 'extras' in my kong :'(

18. KeeperTony44

I sympathise with you Harley regarding feeling a little jealous, but for me it's because i need to wait for my Kong to arrive. My daddy has asked nice people to deliver them as he was tapping on his box on his lap. He said something about "Kong and treat bone arriving next week, you lucky boy." Can't wait. I think i am also going to be slowly introduced to new food for my main meals.....and YAY....fishcuits are also going to be delivered, and also something called poppets!!! I must be a very special puppy. As we all are.

Goodnight Harley. (And nite nite again to my other friends.)

Bud.xx

19. KeeperTony44

Morning....i think :-\ I go to bed and the light has gone, and i wake up and there is still no natural light. I am sure i am sleeping for longer but i can't see my toys or my water bowl when i open my eyes. Daddy has to shine a special light to help me find my corner of the garden, though i do know how to reach it. Morning laziness maybe, still a little tired, or just like to help daddy wake up also.

I woke mummy this morning as i needed my corner. (second night in luxury softness....probably shouldn't get too used to it.) I was good though as slept through the night without any interruptions. I think mummy is poorly as daddy gave her a hug and told her to go back to bed. She didn't speak much....maybe a sleep monster took away her voice. If i see it i will growl at it.....Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Oh well, going to climb up onto daddy's lap and get cosy until breakfast time. Not hungry yet. But will be soon.

Bud.x

20. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Hello, Bud, another friend here- my name is Merla and I'm nearly 18 months old. I'm a female black labrador, and I'm smaller than most labs I think but I run very fast ;D I sympathise about the Dark Days. They go on for quite some time if I remember right from last year, but the sun does come back eventually. We dogs are lucky though- we can see in the dark much better than humans. My mum takes me for walks very early in the morning on Work Days. When it's dark she stumbles around a bit and makes me wear a collar with a light on it, but I can see just fine. It's a good job, really, because she's very careless on walks and keeps dropping my toys. Then she tells me to go back and find them ::) I don't mind though, as I like running and sniffing and she always gives me a nice little piece of warm sausage when I bring things back :) :) My mum is vey happy today as she says she doesn't have to go to work at all next week as it is a Holiday, and she can play with me, so hopefully she'll have time to tell you about our adventures and read about yours. Keep safe friend x.