Building confidence

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Labmama0701, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Labmama0701

Labmama0701 Registered Users

Hi everyone! Toby is now 7 months old and honestly - the best dog I could ever have hoped for. He’s amazing. Just have a question for the lab experts on this page.

Toby is still intact. I’ll be getting him neutered around 2 years old. Lately, he is getting more and more submissive around other dogs. When we go to dog parks, and he meets older dogs (neutered or not) he will cower and roll down on his back and expose his tummy, showing instant submission. He gets picked on a little more often maybe because he’s not neutered and he’s never shown a single moment of aggression or dominance and yet dogs will often snap or bark at him. He hates getting barked at so I think that’s why he just goes on his back before they have a chance to snap and bark. He will often get humped and he just stands there. I’m happy he’s not aggressive at all (I have 4 kids and he’s sooo sweet and gentle and patient with them). So, is there anything I can do to help him gain more confidence? Or should I just let things be..?

Please: - no comments on getting him neutered. He will be neutered when he’s closer to 2 years old.

- no comments on going to dog parks. We do it for socialization and exercise and it’s mostly a pleasant experience.

I’ll try to change my profile pic to show an updated photo.

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm glad Toby has grown into a fantastic dog :)
    The only thing I would do is not let any dogs hump him, intervene ASAP as its not fair on him even if he does just stand there. I would also try and have as many positive interactions with other dogs as you can, whether it's in the dog park or just walking in the street. It's good that he is so placid, but I would make sure he doesn't get picked on by other dogs by removing him from the situation.

Labmama0701 and SwampDonkey like this.
  3. Labmama0701

Labmama0701 Registered Users

8/10 times the owner of the humping dog stops it themselves. The non-caring/non-observant owner’s are annoying. I usually walk him away from the offending dog to another part of the park until the other dog has moved on.