C-BARQ

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by JulieT, Jun 7, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

This is on the "do I neuter?" thread - but I thought I'd start another thread for those of you who avoid the "do I neuter?" question. Quite understandably.

http://vetapps.vet.upenn.edu/cbarq/

The C-BARQ questionnaire: The C-BARQ (or Canine Behavioral Assessment and Research Questionnaire) is designed to provide dog owners and professionals with standardized evaluations of canine temperament and behavior. The C-BARQ was developed by researchers at the the University of Pennsylvania, and is currently the only behavioral assessment instrument of its kind to be extensively tested for reliability and validity on large samples of dogs of many breeds. The current version consists of 100 questions describing the different ways in which dogs typically respond to common events, situations, and stimuli in their environment. The C-BARQ is simple to use, and can be completed by anyone who is reasonably familiar with a dog's typical, day-to-day behavior. On average, it takes from 10-15 minutes to complete. The C-BARQ is available to veterinarians, behavioral consultants, researchers, shelters, breeders, and working dog organizations with an interest in screening dogs for the presence and severity of behavioral problems. For a limited period, it is also open to pet-owners interested in comparing their dogs to others in the C-BARQ database.

I thought it was really interesting to get the results for Charlie:

[​IMG]CBARQ by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oooh, thanks for this! I've just done Shadow. Now onto Willow... :)

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've just done Tatze - but can't find the results page.

What am I doing wrong?

4. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Oooh, interesting!!!

Thanks for posting

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You need to go back to the home page and click on "inital results" in the box showing the details of your dog.

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I have just added our three, will fill out the questionnaire later though. Looks really interesting, thanks for the link! :)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

It is interesting.
    Lilly was orange for trainability and yellow for a couple others.
    And of course serious concern over poo rolling.
    It doesn't seem to take into account the actual input from the owner though.
    I will have another look on my latop later I think

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yeah - I was sort of wondering what weight they put on some things...

I mean, Charlie licks people - a lot. Does that say anything about my dog's temperament or trainability? Or does it just say he has a owner with a somewhat relaxed view of human/dog hygiene who can't be bothered to train him not to do it?

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Mags go back to the home page and where the dogs details are listed in the left hand box you will see a view results in the initial test line x
    Guess what Dex got an orange for?..............chasing!!!!!!!aaaaagh! Like I was hoping it would tell me something different!
    Thanks Julie,it's helpful that it gives a link to a list of registered professionals too

10. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hmm, what about when her owner likes her dog to give her a lick. Collecting Juno on Friday from our trainer we were greeted by all three dogs with licks. Normally Ziggi isn't a very licky boy so it was really nice to be greeted in such a friendly way. Well I was happy :D. Not sure what it says about my human/dog hygiene though :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, I'll enter Juno later and see how we get on.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah Hah - I suspect that the designers of the questionnaire would say it's only one question out of 100 and they have assumed a "typical" owner attempts to stop their dog licking people, rolling in stuff and so on....not unreasonably. :)

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Nope - this is all I get :(

[​IMG]

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Something has gone wrong, Mags, you should only have completed the initial results. Try again but call Tatze something else...(er...messing up the data in the database, I guess!).

14. Beanwood

15. Beanwood

I can see this being invaluable when re-homing/fostering dogs, looking at one week, four week and eight week data points to see how the dogs are settling in, what sort of challenges that might be surfacing/resolving. It can be quite hard to be objective and a scoring system like this may help.
    There are quite a few differences between Casper and Benson, and I agree with Jacquis comment doesn't appear to factor in owner input. Benson has high energy levels, but that is because he is young and we encourage this by lots of different activities and exercise. It did mention a moderate concern for "food stealing" and I entirely agree with that! I also wondered if the scores factored in a dogs age..Casper according to the results is more "trainable" that "Benson" despite being 4.5 years older, actually this also correct, thought that was interesting.

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I thought it was interesting too - Charlie didn't score highly on excitability, I thought maybe because his age was taken into account. Compared to other young Labradors (on average) he maybe isn't all that bad - just compared to the sensible ones at gundog training he is terrible. :)

I paused over Charlie's "non social fear" result. I had ticked "some fear" - one up from zero for things flapping in the wind, which can make him jump, and I think for heavy traffic. Maybe he is worse than the average Labrador, or what I consider heavy traffic is not heavy for the average Labrador owner. I ticked this specifically because Charlie will take a step back from street cleaning trucks with the big brushes cleaning the kerb right in front of us which happens quite a lot in London (I'm thankful he doesn't consider them in the same category as remote controlled cars - things to be played with - so tell him good boy!).

I think his yellow for "touch sensitive" is just an error, as it's lower than average, so not sure why this would show yellow.....

17. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Juno's scores - I'm beginning to think she's not a Labrador at all, but she has never shown fear or aggression and is a pretty calm, laid back girl.

[​IMG]cbarq-report-for-juno by Rosemary McDonagh, on Flickr

18. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

No yellow at all, Juno? You need to start trying harder! ;)

I had "seriously worrying" for S's licking, too. who says it's worrying? After every meal, he "comes to tell me how good it was.". By licking. It gets a bit much when I need to work, so I tell him enough and he settles down. But, left to his own devices, he would keep on licking. Is that really something I should worry about? I kinda think there are bigger fish to fry! :D

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm gonna have a go when I can get to the big computer. I agree that it's a useful tool for tracking change in a dog over time. And I like the fact that it lets you compare your dog to a normative sample of the same breed. Will be interesting to see what the actual items/questions and response scales are.

Juno is one chilled out girl!! :)

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I found this really useful. Thanks Julie