Caesar Milan, my eye!!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lisa, Jul 5, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Caesar Milan, my eye!!!!

O wow - my pic was taken on Wimbledon common, most there would be is a few rabbit droppings (unless wombles are real, of course, though not seen any yet :)).

Maybe a more experienced member could comment... How far would he go before he came back to you, I wonder? Easy for me to say, with a 4 month old pup that self imposes a 20 meter limit.

So good luck finding him a way to run (remember I'm a complete novice) I do believe letting dogs have a bit of free run puffs them out and lets us get some work/chores done while they snooze.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What.....you mean there might not actually be Wombles on Wimbledon Common? :(

Lisa, you are doing GREAT and he WILL get there. You will definitely be able to train him out of the mouthing if you keep going as you are. We got Obi at 9 months and he was very happy to use his teeth on anyone, anywhere - and very firmly too! It had been a game with his previous owner, so he had learned that it was not only ok, it was top fun. But he is a different dog now.

I agree with the advice to bugger the 5 min rule. Wear that boy out!! That's why we started sending Obi to day care - so we can have a relaxing evening.

It'd be pretty hard to predict just how far Simba would run if let off lead without a secure boundary. He could run a long way. Are there any fenced sporting fields where you could take him?

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

No, not any fenced ones that I can think of. It's a challenge, for sure! It also would be good to have another dog to play with....but the people I know who have big dogs are people on acreages or farms...again, no fences. My sister-in-law and niece each have bigger dogs ( a large Border Collie and a huskie) but unfortunately they live an hour and a half away.
    So... I'm going to have to think about this, see if I can come up with a place that the boys could take him for a good run while we're away....of course there's the challenge of getting him there....going to have to start another thread on car travel, I think!! ???

Good to here that Obi got over his teeth issues....gives me some hope!!

Our long walk got cut short by a thunderstorm...sigh....Simba was a bit annoying in terms of the "prowl" but me and bro went out for a bit and hubby had him settled down by the time we got back. I think.... :eek:

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm sure you'll get there, even if you feel like tearing your hair out along the way!

Can you post some pics of Simba? I don't think I've seen him.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Just looked back,I forgot to say Charlie looks fully grown x

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I know! His face has really changed in the last week - he does look grown up. He still has puppy paws that are too big for him though, and if he meet a big dog and makes himself very small he still looks like a baby. But yes - puppyhood is coming to an end... :-X

7. David

David Registered Users

He's lovely. It's possible he might always have puppy paws. Lady's paws are way to big for her frame and when she's trotting towards you she looks like she's got boots on.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh I hope the puppy paws stay! Can you post photos of lady?

Here is Charlie's grown up face and puppy paws.... (he was refusing to walk down the stairs unless a kibble was provided in advance here - he is getting quite stroppy as he heads towards being a teen....)

[​IMG]
    give me kibble by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

9. David

David Registered Users

I'll see if I can catch her in a photo with her boots on.

10. Dexter

He really is lovely,he does look a bit disgruntled there though!x

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

LOL, yes, he looks quite put out!

Labradors should have pretty hefty front feet relative to the size of the dog as they're a breed that's meant to swim. We call them 'Paddle Paws'. :)

12. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I love the fact they're webbed... So cool .... :D

13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Lovely photos, just heaven :)

Sam is fully grown now but his feet still look far too big but somehow, over the last couple of months, he has looked so much more in proportion .

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

We are so bonkers - appreciating lab paws! They are so lovely though.

I see that Charlie's paws really are webbed - is this just a lab thing, different from other breeds of dog?

15. Dexter

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

Jumping on the bandwagon a bit but Dexternjust wanted to show you his lions paws....... :D

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Not sure how many dogs have webbed feet but it's to do with the ones who were bred for water retrieves, I believe! :)

17. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Ooo, big pawed Dexter, just love these big webbed feet ;D

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I love the way the yellow labs have bits of them outlined in black - Dexter looks like he has a manicure! Loooovely big paws....

19. Dexter

Ill tell you something Julie..he has had a manicure today!!....Cue collective roll of eyes!....let me defend myself and my metrosexual dog!
    Pest control were in the house today....I get it done every 6 months....noticed some annoying little red ants by the back door recently so it had to be done.First time I have had to have it done since we have had Dexter. Dex had to be away from the area( upstairs would have done but I wanted him out of the house completely)so I booked him into the 'salon' for a little pamper and the girl who owns it is a lovely Canadian girl who said he could stay there until the house was free from the chemicals.....think he's had a lovely time.....the staff are all super cheerful Philippinos.....huge hilarity because one of them is called Dexter...it's a joke that never grows old! ;D

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No! Really? Hmmm... what a good idea. but you've got Dexter to the place where you can clean his teeth every day - I have visions of the bill I'd be presented with after Charlie chewed the salon up. One day, maybe...