Cage training

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Emma Cheney, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Emma Cheney

Emma Cheney Registered Users

Hello!

This is our 19 week old boy Archie! How beautiful is he?

[​IMG]

The cage training has gone really well and he sleeps (we think) from between 9 and 10pm to about 6:30am. We don't want to cage him forever so have tried leaving the door of his cage open for the last couple of nights. He's just realised his door is open and woke us up at 3 o'clock this morning. How can we make him stay in his cage until the time we normally get up?

Thanks in advance!

Emma x

2. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

I haven't worked this one out yet as Maisy will always get on our bed if not in her cage.
    I would be interested to find out how to keep her in a cage with open door.
    Her cage and bed is in a spare bedroom so I left the bedroom door open and blocked it with a gate/pen panel, she just kept trying to get over it, although I use it to keep her secure when I am cleaning etc. and she is fine then.

3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Very!!

Emma Cheney likes this.
  4. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Sorry, forgot to say how gorgeous Archie is, I am in the office and we were all cooing over him.

selina27 and Emma Cheney like this.
  5. T Reischl

T Reischl Registered Users

Hmmm, he is really great, if this becomes an insurmountable problem, well, you know we would be more than. . . . LOL.

Seriously, if'n it were me. . . I would not worry so much about him staying in the cage. Of course at 3AM he is just thrilled to see you and wants to say HI!!! What we doing!

We did the same with Murphy over there. He only bugged us a few nights, well, me actually. I gave him a couple of pats and then ignored him. We do not let him sleep on beds, he is just too big. Nowadays he starts the night out next to the bed, sometime during the night, usually about 3 or 4 AM he wanders off to his official bed (we do not have a crate anymore). About 6:30 AM he wanders back in and lays down until we get up.

Back to Archie. . .yes, he is a lot of trouble....probably more than you want to deal with, so being such a helpful guy. . .. hmmm, that is not going to work either is it? :rolleyes:

6. Emma Cheney

Emma Cheney Registered Users

So I'll just persevere with it and hopefully he'll start to understand!

Haha he is a little terror sometimes, I don't think I have a pair of tights in the house that don't have a hole in them thanks to his little puppy claws! But unfortunately, those eyes just automatically mean that everything is forgiven! :p

Shaz82 likes this.
  7. T Reischl

T Reischl Registered Users

Give it a try! We were very, very lucky. Murphy at that age was not destructive unless it was a cardboard box.

With us it is a bit of "ok, let's see what he wants to do and if it is ok with us, who are we to tell him where he should sleep?"

Right now he is on top of the ottoman (the only piece of furniture he is allowed on) draped all over it with his head laying across my crossed legs and his paw hooked around my left foot. My leg is now completely dead because he has been there for about an hour. He is also snoring very lightly.

And yes, those eyes get you every single time! I finally figured out, it is not a Jedi mind trick, he is actually doing it!

Shaz82 likes this.
  8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

No idea how to solve your problem - but is IS gorgeous.