Can a black purebred lab have white markings?!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Nicmorris, May 14, 2014.

1. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Hi
    I have just received some more pictures today from our breeder and I can clearly see one of the black pups has a white flash across its chest!
    I have seen both parents and they are kennel registered full labs and the breeder is on their accredited breeder scheme but I have not seen this before?
    A quick google search suggests this can be the case but I was wondering what everyone thinks of this or if anyone has any experience of this
    Thanks

2. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Re: Can a black purebred lab have white markings?!

Yes absolutely. I think it's more common in blacks than the other colours, though Penny had a bit of white on her chest when she was really tiny and it gradually faded into red over time. She still has a couple of white toes though!

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yes they can and in fact you can get all sorts of mis-marks too.

Here's a link to some of my favourite lab pictures :) there's a second page too

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

and from there you can also find this link which discusses colouring in labs including a section on white marks.

http://www.labbies.com/genetics2.htm

White marks on the chest are not uncommon and white marks on the feet or 'Bolo spots' as they are thought to come from a particular dog called Banchory Bolo. My friends dog has them and you get little white flashes when she runs, it's very cute

4. David

David Registered Users

Just to reinforce what's already been said - yes a white medallion on the chest is not uncommon. Lady has one and her pedigree is complete. I think I read somewhere that it's a relic from the original Newfoundland cross that lead to the current Labrador.

5. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes. My first lab, Tammy, came from very good working stock and had a white medallion.

6. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Those pics are really interesting. I love the mosaic markings!

7. Philsmom

Philsmom Registered Users

The puppy I'm training might be considered mosaic. She is chocolate with a splash of blonde on her hip. Her parents were yellow and chocolate and no mismarks on any other pups. Genetics are awesome!

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Both my Labs have some white on them but especially the younger one as he has a white stripe behind his foreleg above his paw, I chose him because of this ;D He is definitely purebred ;D I do know of a black Lab who has quite a white splash on his chest.

9. Indy

Indy Registered Users

My 'Bella' has Bolo spots and she is pure bred.

10. Nicmorris

This is good to know.
    I have seen several yellow labradors who have white marks on them but just assumed this was a variation in the yellow colour. I had never seen a black or chocolate lab with these white markings!
    The links were great to look at thanks, although the second one was a little scientific for my small Brian to take in! :eek:
    I have posted a pic for you to have a look at, they are all very cute regardless of colour!

[​IMG]
    image by nicolamorris0208, on Flickr

11. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Thanks for showing these Nicola as mine must be about the same size! I think I read that the standard allowed a white mark on the chest if you were showing; the kennel club might have the standard. Very cute puppies!

12. Nicmorris

Hi Jane,
    I think your pup was about 3 days younger than mine so would look very similar! ;D ;D

13. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

My Mira has a white flash on her chest and Bolo spots behind 3 paws. One of her black sisters had the spots too. I like them, but people often ask if she's a cross when they see the white ::)

14. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Apparently common in the Drakeshead line !! Megs brother known as Mr White has a flash on his chest so did her Dad. She has an amazing gundog pedigree :)