Can anybody shed light on this?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Makin, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Makin

Makin Registered Users

Hi guys.

This is our 4 month old Labrador. We first noticed this within a few days of buying him but then it stopped for a good month then came back more often..

Either a cough or breathing issue which ends with a gag..

We've had two visits to the vets where this has been brought up and we have just been told it is probably an irritation or slight cough and we can try anti-inflammatory. They didn't think antibiotics were necessary.

Thanks

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi, and welcome . Have you shown this video to the Vet ? If not, then I would do , and don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion either ! There is obviously something irritating him , so I really would persist until you get a proper diagnosis, poor little love , he does look a bit miserable with it too, good luck !

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Poor thing! Looks like kennel cough.

Just keep him comfy and keep a close eye. I would remove his collar too. You can give high quality runny honey to help soothe his throat.

Keep his walks outside to an absolute minimum, you will probably notice his breathing/coughing worsens after any exercise. Try some mental stimulation games inside instead.

If you are worried in the slightest, just give the vet a call, or go back for another visit.

Very cute puppy btw! :)

4. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Totally agree with kateincornwall, the video would be helpful for the vets to diagnose it. He's a lovely little pup by the way, good luck with getting it sorted.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Kennel cough possibly.
    I had wondered about Floppy Larynx but that wouldn't have gone away in between

6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Isnt this what is called reversed sneezing? Finn does this so now an then. I let him drink water....then it disappears!

7. Makin

Makin Registered Users

Thank you for the replies.

We have shown different videos to the vet as I only got this one early today. We're thinking about visiting the vets again to show them this one later today.

Like I said above, he had this for about a week when we first got him but it wasn't as bad. It came back again for a few days then disappeared.. now here it is again for nearly a week.

It happens more often after he wakes up or during the night.

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I do hope you get a diagnosis; that would worry me. He's a sweetie! :)

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

That doesn't sound quite like kennel cough, I am not a vet mind! Good idea to pop back to the vets. Hope you get this sorted soon x

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Has he been wormed? I don't think I would give an anti-inflammatory as the vet suggests as it could irritate the oesophagus even more. He certainly needs investigation. Looks a very dear little pup x

11. Makin

Makin Registered Users

Hi,

He has been wormed, yes.

If it was kennel cough wouldn't it be quite often? I haven't heard him do it now for a good few hours.

Stacia likes this.
  12. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hope you get some answers from the vet soon, must admit that would be worrying me too.

13. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Does he do it after exercise?

14. Makin

Makin Registered Users

I wouldn't say it's during or after exercise. More after he's been resting.

Before I left for work earlier I didn't hear it at all for 4+ hours.

15. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I thought that's what it was going to be but on seeing the video, no, I don't think so now. Not like any Oban did or that I
    ve seen on the internet.

@Makin is he always sitting like that, sort of scrunched up, when this happens? Are you always stroking his leg? Or stroking somewhere and looking right into his face?

16. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Reverse sneezing video and how to stop it....!

17. Makin

Makin Registered Users

He'd only just woke up so that's why he's sat like that. Even though he is quite lanky so he has a funny sit sometimes.

He does it without us stroking him.

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

His collar looks very tight to me... I'd loosen it right off.

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

He's so cute. What a worry for you. Yesterday I met a neighbour walking her rescue Cocker Spaniel who sounded like this. He was going to the vet for investigations under GA as the vet thought it could be a flap of skin in his throat that needs to be removed. Could this be a possibility, I wonder? I agree with Karen about his collar. I hope you get some answers. xx

20. Makin

Makin Registered Users

We have taken his collar off. My partner just told me she's heard it only once all day when he got excited.. we'll see how he goes. If it's still no better by Saturday we're visiting the vets again.