Can dogs get jealous?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Boogie, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Or is that just projection of human emotions?

We usually walk Mollie and Tatze separately and both are fine with that, they are very clever at picking up signs as to which one's 'turn' it is and there are no signs of jealousy at all. The one whose turn it isn't just goes happily to their bed.

But when I fuss Tatze you should see the look Mollie gives her! Mollie then either pushes in or jumps all over Tatze to try and remove her from my reach. I've noticed this today because my husband is away cycling for a couple of weeks (He's a MAMIL :rolleyes:). Usually we fuss one dog each and all is well.

2. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Thank you for teaching me what a MAMIL is :cwl:

And they do certainly seem to get jealous! my lab gets stroppy when I'm hugging my OH for example, he wants in on the cuddles too :p

kateincornwall likes this.
  3. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Well I think Ella gets jealous or perhaps it's her not wanting to be left out.

If I have Nathan sitting on my lap on the couch, she'll watch us and the second he moves, she walks over, jumps on the couch and lies down on my lap.

If the OH and I hug, she pushes her way in between our legs or grabs a toy, puts it at our feet and barks at us to play!

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Nell showed signs of jealousy when she first came to live with us . Sam has always been used to sharing us, his toys and home, but she wasn't used to having another dog around . Nothing major , just the odd bark at Sam , and pushing herself to the fore, but it only lasted for a few days x I think it helps that Sam has got Mum stamped all the way through him , and Nell is a Dads girl , equilibrium ! x

5. BevE

BevE Registered Users

We have Bailey who is 16 months old and our daughter has 9 month old Hugo. Same breeder, same Dad. Hugo spends some time here and either he or Bailey will push in and shove out the one getting attention! If Bailey is alone here he pushes in between my OH and me if we even attempt to cuddle. Cooper, our last Lab was terrible for this. We used to joke that we could rent him out as a contraceptive:D

Mooz and kateincornwall like this.
  6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

ABsolutely they can show jealousy. More and more Animal Behaviourists are recognizing and studying emotions in dogs and other animals. Some still call it Resource Guarding though the exact same behaviour in people would be called jealousy.

We have an interesting example in my family. My Mum, Oban's Grandma, saw more of her other doggy grandchild than Oban. When Oban was visiting his Grandma one day and getting pets and cuddles from her Bonnie tried to get between them. Grandma continued to pet Oban and next thing we knew Bonnie had mounted and was humping him! Bonnie had never been seen humping anything before so we attribute it to jealousy. Bonnie has also prevented Oban from interacting with HER cat and HER grandchild, my great nephew. Another reason we are careful with Oban around the child, now a four year old. Sometimes Bonnie nips at Oban and if the child was in between he could get bitten by mistake.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh yes definitely. Charlie can be fast asleep and hear me cuddling Hattie, he's there like a rat up a drainpipe trying to shuv her out of the way to get his lovin' :rolleyes::D x

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Yes, Rourke is like this, if I stroke Drift, he is there in a second and pushing him away. However they don't show any other signs of jealousy.