Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Sep 18, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes you can :) Over the past 11 months of whistle training Charlie, Hattie has been watching and sometimes joining in, so today I took my whistle and a bag of baked salmon skin prepared by my own fair hands out on our walk this morning. Hattie got about 20 meters away and as always she checks on me every 10 to 15 seconds or so, I blew my recall signal and she belted back to me, we repeated this about 6 times over the cause of 1 1/2 hours and she returned without hesitation, it really helps as she is soooo food motivated. To top it all she even recalled away from her JR friend Scruffy, walked to heel but then couldn't resist and went to play before I could release her ::) not bad for day 1. I thought I had better train Hattie as I don't want any mishaps when we are walking them together off lead as Hattie has been known to leg it briefly, not often, but we certainly do not want Charlie boy following her :eek: Helen x

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

That's really great Helen. Bet Hattie is loving the treats, too!

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Living proof that they are never too old to learn , well done Helen ;D ;D

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Bless sweet Hattie, she was just looking for a chance to join in the fun (and the treats!)

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Dont want to highjack your thread Helen, but Miss Millie is also enjoying retrieving with Sam, its quite hilarious to see and raises many a smile ;)

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Bless Hattie I think she just wants a piece of the action ;D

You haven't hijacked at all Kate, love to hear about a fellow rescue dog :D Unfortunately we are not as advanced as your two off lead and out together, not until we can be sure Charlie will return to that recall whistle, but I suspect it won't be too much longer as we are working on it daily, I hope anyway :eek: Helen x

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hattie is a clever one for sure,not long until the day you blow that whistle 'live' Helen......let us know when you think you are all ready....lets see glow recall for us from goes from the sea this morning.....got my roast chicken ....packed in my bum bag with an ice block......this blummin dog he doesn't know the life he has got for a second !!!

8. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Helen, pretty soon you'll be able to open up a Training Academy of your own!!! :D

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=2605.msg26488#msg26488 date=1379564625]
    Helen, pretty soon you'll be able to open up a Training Academy of your own!!! :D
    [/quote]

For sure !!

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Now that would be funny - Helen's Training Academy, by the time I get through training my dogs I will be drawing my pension and still not a trained dog in sight :eek: ;D But thank you for the vote of confidence ;) Helen xx