candles

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by SwampDonkey, Apr 26, 2017.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Saw my vet as Rory had slightly itchy eyes. He told me that he's just had a case in which the dog kept getting an allergy everything was ruled out until he said to the owner do you burn any thing. Answer was no but we do light candles the owner really likes them. The vet asked them to stop and the allergy did too. He thinks it was a combination of the oils and smoke that cause the dog to react. Just thought it was interesting and worth passing on the info.

charlie, selina27, MF and 1 other person like this.
  2. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Wow, how odd! I'm glad they got to the bottom of it.

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Interesting! Love having scented candles lit at home..would have never had considered them an irritant, good tip :)

4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Interesting...I have been wondering about my candles for awhile, as Quinn frequently has runny eyes and it seems to correlate to when I light them for long periods. I had them lit over the weekend a lot while cleaning and her eyes have been quite runny in the mornings since then. Hard to say, as we were also at a sandy park area, which OH seems to think is the culprit. I will be asking our vet!

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes, I have heard of this. Hope Rory's eyes get better xxx

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rorys eyes are fine :D

charlie likes this.
  7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I find this a common thing in itchy scratchy and allergic humans.
    Its like this.....if you can smell something, its because a little "smell molecule" gets up your nose and triggers a nerve to send a "smell message" to your brain. All these little smell molecules don't just go up your nose. They land on your skin, in your hair, in your eyes etc etc.
    Anything you smell could act as an allergen just about. And of course more you can't smell (pollutants from cars etc)
    Including your lemon fragrance toilet cleaner.
    One of the absolutely WORST things are these fragrance "plug ins".
    Most people find it impossible to rid their house of fragrance. Shampoo. Washing powder. Conditioner. Deodorant. Hand soap.......the list goes on, without having an obvious "fragrance spray" at work.
    Yup, candles, another baddie for the allergic.
    I am currently experiencing an excess of dry eyes, convinced its my new reed diffuser.......