Canine Papilloma

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, May 31, 2018.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

My boyfriend's sister's lab had some funky growths around his face, but I didn't really think anything of it cause they just looked like warts and I figured it was nothing. So over Memorial Day weekend all our dogs played together, sharing water bowls and playing tug, etc. There were 5 dogs total, 4 of them being around 1 or younger. Well, I got a phone call from my boyfriend's sister yesterday telling me that her dog has Canine Papilloma, very contagious, and dogs under 2 are susceptible. I am upset because she let her dogs play with ours without having the bumps checked out. Her dog has had them for months and I told her to get them looked at and she finally just did this week because she noticed more of them forming.

We have my boyfriend's sister's wedding coming up on the 9th of June and had reservations to board him at a nice facility but now I am thinking we should cancel it just in case he has contracted it. I would not want to be the owner who spreads these warts. I know it isn't anything super serious and more of an annoyance, but I am just mad that she let this go on for so long and now my dog might have it. Plus now I am just mad at myself for not leaving Aspen at home when I noticed those bumps. But I guess I will just have to keep checking to see if he grows any too.

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

How frustrating and sad that she left the poor dog like that for so long! He must be very miserable :(.
    Is there anything your vet can do to test if Aspen has contacted it?

3. Maxx's Mum

Maxx's Mum Registered Users

That is such a shame and very concerning and frustrating. Everything is crossed that Aspen has not contracted it

4. MF

MF Registered Users

From what I’ve read, if your dog is healthy he shouldn’t get them. Best of luck.

5. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley had them when he was little. He must’ve got them from daycare.

They were inside his mouth, he only had a few.

It was pretty much a non-event. They lasted a couple of weeks and definitely didn’t bother him at all. I certainly wouldn’t be in a hurry to cancel your trip, especially if there’s no signs of him having caught anything. If he does, just speak to the facility.