Cannot contain myself.....

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Dexter, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Seriously.....look what I have just found!scroll down to ...............AGILITY and FLYBALL ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.pawspetplanet.com/packages-a-rates

Oh if this is true,I'm just beside myself!...ringing them first thing tomorrow! Watch this space !i won't sleep tonight ;D x

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Cannot contain myself.....

Book it! Go Angela and Dex - saw flyball on the telly, thought it was just fab.

3. Dexter

We've got a Flyball board too that I bought to teach him...with one thing and another I didn't get on to starting it and now that the summer is looming it's been put in the 'things to keep him busy inside during the summer cupboard'......I did my first set of obedience classes at this establishment....they weren't great to be fair knowing what I know now but you know what?we don't need to be on an award winning Flyball team ...it would just be great to have the activity option ;D...and meet other like minded owners,am very excited! ;D

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh, yes. Most of the fun is trying something new with other people also having a go. I hope you get a place!

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sounds like a brilliant activity for Dexter.......exciting :D

6. Dexter

Obi is the Flymeister and I'm sure I remember Rachael saying he was about 16 months when he started so while I've been getting Dexters basic obedience tighter I thought we'd do our DIY version through my hall on the ikea non slip mats in the summer .now this has come to my attention ,I'll get straight on, I hope it's as good as it sounds,the agility as well.I've wailed about the lack of dog facilities here .....it's been a lovely shock to find this......I'm an existing client really though ...what aren't i on an email list? ??? Nevermind, I've found it and would love to support them ,sign me up PPP? X

7. debsie

debsie Registered Users

oh lucky boy Dexter!! what a find...hope you get a place :)

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Wow I will keep everything crossed that you get a place on the agility/flyball course - you go for it Angela how exciting xxx :D

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would rather do agility than flyball, always get worried that the quick turns as they get the ball could do damage to joints, could be wrong!

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sounds good Angela , go for it and I`m sure you will both love it , have been thinking of something like this for Miss Millie the pocket rocket :)

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Exciting! ;D ;D

12. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Awesome! Fun, fun, fun ;D

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How incredibly exciting!!!!!!! :D

12 months is the age at which it's ok to start Agility or Flyball.

With Fiyball, you just want to teach a 'swimmers turn' on the box, where they turn/run on the box sideways and maintain their momentum (fine for joints) rather than slamming into it front feet first (bad for joints). Any Fyball questions - just ask!

Both are wonderful sports that you and Dexter would love doing together :)

14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

That's interesting, didn't know there was a technique for flyball :)

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

People used to teach it without any particular turning technique (and some clubs probably still do) but concerns about joints have led to the development of a safe approach :)

Teaching the dog to go over the jumps, get the ball and come back is the easy bit. The hard bit is teaching the correct turn, teaching the dog to go over all jumps no matter if the ball is fumbled or a jump is down, teaching the dog to pass close to another dog, and teaching that the other team is not for chasing! It's mostly about the proofing. You have to put a lot of work in before you can go a competition because a competition is incredibly loud, fast, exciting and distracting and most new dogs totally lose their heads. Or, as my first Lab did, run into the crowd and steal a hamburger ::)

Agility competitors need to consider joint care as well, as so much high speed turning and jumping is involved. It's all about building up gradually to develop the dog's fitness, without over-doing the training and repetition.

Both sports are just great fun!!! :D

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

How fun! I'm envious....nothing like that here :(

I hope it works out, Angela, keep us posted!! :)

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh Angela that sounds so good!! Everything crossed here - I'm sure Dex would love it!! :)

Is it outdoors, or in an indoor air-conditioned area?

18. Dexter

Ok ,Dexter and I are booked into the Beginners Agility Class starting 22nd March ;D I spoke to an English receptionist who's said this is very much a 'learn together ' process.This will be the first group of classes with new equipment and so far there are only 2 of us signed up.....that's no problem to me :D they are the only establishment in Dubai that are offering agility,and have never done it before although the trainer who has helped set it up is an Australian lady who used to train and compete in Agility competitions.so let's see what it's like,it's not too expensive so I'm going open minded,anything is better than the NOTHING we have currently!
    she said there has been NO interest in Flyball.....but they ARENT advertising :eek: I've only found this by fluke and I should be on their email list :eek: what a waste. I nearly talked myself into a marketing job ......at the very least I said talk to the local expat newspaper.....it's free advertising then ??? Anyway....I said please,please,please even if the other person drops out and there is no other interest,don't cancel the course and she said they wouldn't as they've bought all the equipment so even one dog attending is recovering some of the costs!i can't wait!but im keeping my expectations low....Dexter sitting and staying on his red ikea mat and barging through a ELC floppy tunnel will not have proofed him for the seesaw in a big exciting new training hall ???
    Karen it's inside and it's air conditioned.....if this works out,it's something for the summer list of things to do with him :D

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That's fantastic!!! Even if you do it once or twice a week, it will keep him busy and exercised! Fab!!!

20. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

That sounds really interesting, you will have fun learning. I always found the seesaw difficult, well not for me but the dog :) Don't forget you will be learning not testing.