Car journeys with a puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Julian Paul, May 20, 2023.

1. Julian Paul

Julian Paul Registered Users

Hello. I'm already concerned about how I let my puppy go to the toilet when I'm in the car and before his vaccination period has finished. I am picking him up in a few weeks when he'll be 8 weeks old. It's a 2.5 hour drive home. He won't be vaccinated so if we stop I can't let him pee on the grass. What do I do? Just put a pad in the back of the car? Thanks in advance

2. Labrador mom

Labrador mom Registered Users

I too am concerned about the same issue but we have a 5 hour car ride from the breeders home to our house. Do we stop every hour and put her on a puppy pad and then back into the travel crate? Thanks for any advice.

3. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Hi, I'm contemplating another puppy which involves a 5 hour journey. I did this with my current dog 9 years ago. I made sure she had a lot of play time with the rest of the litter before we set off and she slept 95% of the way. When I needed to stop for a break I didn't get her out, offered her a tiny amount of food, made sure she had water and she went back to sleep. 2.5 hours is a doddle, you'll be fine, don't worry about it.
    Now my puppy is 9, we will probably be doing the journey again, so I'll be looking for a pet friendly b&b to break the journey up. For the new puppy, I'm also considering a cheap throw away plastic DIY sheet that I can stand the puppy on while my older dog stretches her feet. Stay cool, listen to the advice of the breeder if it makes sense to you.